Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gilets! Recommend me one that packs down small, keeps wind off and is cheap…
  • poppa
    Free Member

As per the title… throw me some names and the winner gets a kiss.

TN
    Free Member

I don't know how good it's going to be but I just picked up one of the Lidl specials this morning. Packs fairly small and looks promising. For £7 I thought it worth a try…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

cotswold outdoor is selling montane slipstream gilets for half price at the moment (so, 20 quid). online only mind. you'll not get smaller or lighter than them, and they work.

here…

poppa
    Free Member

Is it small enough to stuff in a jersey pocket and not notice? I probably should have been more specific…

Mackem

Ive got a Lidl one, it works fine.

Macavity
    Free Member

Black bin bag , cut holes for arms and head and its cheap.

sockpuppet

montane +1

get a size smaller than normal though, IME

kimbers

i had an aldi one that was great till the zip broke but cost a few pounds

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the montane one will easily fit into any jersey pocket. it weighs 86g, it's ridiculously small packed down.

oldgit
    Free Member

I bought a PBK one though it might have been on offer.
    Avoid ones that are too good otherwise it'll be like removing a jacket
    Short sleeves, armwarmers and a gilet are a great versatile combo.

TN
    Free Member

It's not tiny, not when compared to the Montane one. It'd probably fit in a pint pot (the only thing I have nearby for comparison purposes) but for £7 I can hack that. I usually take far more with me than is necessary anyway, so this wouldn't be a huge problem to me.

Lummox

+1 for the montane

awesome bit of kit packs as small as a small apple in a stash bag

z1ppy

I can't recommend my Gore Bike Wear one enough, my most regularly used bit of kit has lasted 6 year and am only now looking at replacing it beacause the tab on the zip has broken (annoying but hasn't stopped me using it).
    Not cheap bit of kit to buy but for 6 year full year round use, I think it well worth it.
    The main feature i love, other than being windproof, is the gauze on the back that stops you overheating (other manuf's may also offer this option)

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm. Montane one looks good, I usually buy clothing in size large so I am guessing a medium is required here. Thank you everyone!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gilets! Recommend me one that packs down small, keeps wind off and is cheap…’ is closed to new replies.