Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Gig etiquette
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Fellow music lovers, what are the things that really grind your gears whilst spectating at a gig?

I can certainly handle a bit of exuberant jumping around when the music demands it, I love a bit of a sing along – heck, if you want to take a photo, go right ahead – BUT DON’T BLOODY HOLD YOUR 6″ SCREENED SMART PHONE UP IN THE AIR FOR FOUR MINUTES AT A TIME!!!

And talking. We all like to share the moment, but why pay good money for a ticket to stand in a crowded space facing your mates/s and shout each other dull life affairs at each other for the entire time? WTF??

On that note, I abruptly told a couple of fella’s to keep it down at a PSB gig at the Brooklyn Bowl a couple of weeks ago – poor fellas nearly jumped out of their skin, but to their credit they apologised immediately and went and bought us drinks (turns out one of them used to play in a band with the PSB drummer).

Last month at a really low key James gig, a women that clearly couldn’t handle the booze got really aggressive with my other half during a front row virtual serenade with Tim Booth, it was the ultimate moment killer.
    In the end she also got aggressive with another chap behind us and eventually got taken out by security. After completely spoiling the gig for dozens of people for at least 20mins.

Festivals. People throwing beakers full of piss at the crowd. I mean c’mon..
    Music brings out the best in most, but seemingly the worst in so many others.

So what else tick’s you off?
    Will we ever see a time again where hundreds of brightly lit smart phone screens aren’t filling the theater?
    Am I a music Nazi?

spchantler
    Free Member

Are you a Nazi? no, people are *****
    see People Are ****, by the lovely, Lovely Eggs
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDM-kCQkarw[/video]

sandwicheater

When someone doesn’t dress appropriately at the ballet. Shootings too good for them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenfoot

Talking doesn’t annoy me. Usually the band drowns that out.
    People with no spatial awareness get on my nerves however, and also the idiots pushing through the crowd to either a) get nearer the front, or b) get their drinks back to their chums near the front.

Still – it beats sitting. Can’t see the point of that.

jate
    Free Member

Not long ago I was at a jazz (mmm, nice) gig at Sage 2. Bloke across the aisle insisted on banging his foot on the floor in the mistaken belief that (a) this added to the atmosphere (b) he was in time with the music (he wasn’t, not even close). Eventually I cracked, leant across the aisle and expressed the view that there already seemed to be a perfectly good rhythm section on the stage. Cue congratulations from all around me. End of the gig he decides he wants to have a fight (this is the Sage 2 remember). My mate is rather larger than me and intervenes. Then the woman next to me tells the bloke that I had her support, at which point he decides he wants to fight her too. So then her husband wades in metaphorically speaking, and, yes you’ve guessed it, the bloke decides he wants to take on him as well. We left before seeing if anyone actually ended up having a fight.

Pigface
    Free Member

Funny we were talking about this yesterday, drunk idiots who want a fight more that want to watch the band.

BigJohn

I abruptly told a couple of fella’s to keep it down at a PSB gig

You should have said “OK keep the chatter down in this room!”

franki
    Free Member

People with no spatial awareness get on my nerves however, and also the idiots pushing through the crowd to either a) get nearer the front, or b) get their drinks back to their chums near the front.

Yeah that! Especially when you’ve taken ages to create a little bit of dancing room and some selfish idiot jumps straight into it, so your face is about half a millimetre from the back of his / her head! 😡

I also have had an issue with people who come and ram out the dance tent after the open air stages have finished for the night, who have no interest in the music and just want somewhere warm to stand and talk to their mates. This is usually as the headline acts are starting and you basically can’t move a muscle, let alone dance.

nealglover
    Free Member

…..in time with the music (he wasn’t, not even close)

It was a Jazz gig though, so nobody noticed 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I was a PSB gig a few weeks ago and this man an woman could be heard talking throughout (except at the loud bits obvs) she was then outside at the end proclaiming what a great gig it was.

I went to see James at the Hydro in Glasgow last year and Tim Booth tried to introduce a song about a close friend who had died of cancer but the crowd wouldn’t quiet down despite quite loud booing which was directed initially at those who wouldn’t shut up. This included a group of about 6 or 8 guys near us, they then without realising who the booing was aimed at, joined in! then started shouting “play a song then”. It totally put me off going to such a large venue again.

I can only think that the saturation of and near instant availability of music from so many sources has dulled the appetite of people, yet somehow they can’t let go of the need to go and see live acts, despite not paying them any attention at all when they are actually there.

<1stworldproblem> On holiday recently and I was enjoying the use of the hotel sauna when in come a group of 3 couples (early 30’s) “wouldn’t it be great if we brought a speaker down here for some music?” one of them suggests, to much agreement; now I don’t have a real issue with that but it was more this idea that they couldn’t just sit in silence, that somehow they found it uncomfortable, that annoyed/saddened me. </1stworldproblem>

Stoner
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOlmjrGhZvo[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

We left before seeing if anyone actually ended up having a fight.

Ah man! I’d loved to have been present at a Jazz fight! It should’ve been all freestyle as the band played along.

You should have said “OK keep the chatter down in this room!”

Yeah I know, I totally lost my cool. True to form there was even a public service movie played before the gig to demonstrate how despicable using your phone is during a gig – and that phone users and loud talkers all eventually end up dying alone, friendless.

Talking doesn’t annoy me. Usually the band drowns that out.

Depends how close to the sound system you are!, what with not being willing to push to the front and all.
    Seriously, Arcade Fire at Hyde Park 2014, I could barely hear the music for a group of girls that had absolutely no interest in doing anything but screech at each other about other girls. I don’t think they even face the stage once.
    That time I made some kind of witty comment to them between songs which had all the surrounding crowd laughing, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was.
    I’m so cool.
    Actually, it turned out for the best as on this occasion we were forced to make our way to front and center, where we joyously danced with strangers as the confetti fell from the summer sky. What a gig.

Honestly, why pay to talk about your day over loud music?? ENJOY THE MUSIC!
    Cinema chatters/phone users will be first against the wall though.

muzzle
    Free Member

PSB gig at the Brooklyn Bowl

I didn’t know the Pet Shop Boys had a drummer 😀

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

What annoys me –

Girls sitting on their boyfriends shoulders. Back in the day they would have been bombarded with cans and bottles, but seem to get away with it lightly these days.

People who film most of the gig on their phones rather than watch it live. I want a clear view of the stage not a small screen in my line of site.

slimjim78
    Free Member

lol @ muzzle.

East End too.

Just thought of something, was at a gig in Krakow a few years ago, was a local Polish hard rock/punk type band (Dead Snow Monster), which was high energy on stage – but the entire crowd stood virtually motionless and silent through the entire set! Was so weird!

So the few of us Brits that were there were jumping around like goons at the front, the band (and crowd) genuinely didn’t know what to make of us at first but by the end they had us on stage ‘signing’ along and handing over the mike. Was hilarious.
    I even ended up helping to organise a gig for them in the UK.

binners

I politely asked someone at a recent gig, if he didn’t remove his iphone screen from in front of my face, if he had any preference as to which orifice he’d like me ram it in, sideways?

stumpy01

The only time I’ve been properly annoyed at a gig was having just got back from the bar with some drinks & handing them out, a bloke ploughs into me while trying to push past with his mates & whacks my pint out of my hand.
    Looks at me, looks at the empty ‘glass’ rolling around on the floor, looks back at me & then quickly scarpers…..not a word of apology, no offer of a fresh pint….nothing. I should have grabbed him as he ploughed his way through the crowd really, and asked him to buy me a fresh one……

Other people talking – not really an issue. I don’t think I’ve been to a quiet enough gig for this to be a problem while the band are playing.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I think I may have been to too many loud gigs over the years.
    I now have to concentrate to hear the best bits!

Tinnitus sucks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Other people talking – not really an issue. I don’t think I’ve been to a quiet enough gig for this to be a problem while the band are playing.

Nils Frahm at Roundhouse Camden is a perfect example of a gig where you needed to listen and anyone talking would drown out the music. He started off with a beautiful subtle piece of piano tinkling at very low volume. An absolute joy to listen to but only if everyone else was silent.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And talking. We all like to share the moment, but why pay good money for a ticket to stand in a crowded space facing your mates/s and shout each other dull life affairs at each other for the entire time? WTF??

Because it’s a social event?

There’s always that one guy (who I now realize is off STW) who stands just ahead of the sound desk, facing the stage, hands in pockets, talking to no one, because that’s where the music is best and moans that everyone else way of experiencing gigs is wrong.

ajantom

From a musicians perspective –

People who stand and stare at you for ages are very off-putting. Either dance, or watch, but don’t glare at me with sun-like intensity for the whole gig!

People who lean over onto the stage and try and play with or fiddle with your instrument. This also includes festival crowds who have brought their own percussion – you’d better be bloody good!

Stage invaders – you’re the crowd, we’re the entertainment. Unless we invite you of course, then fill yer boots.

Stealing my pint from the front of the stage. You will get kicked.

Unless it’s a wedding or we’re a cover band, then please don’t ask for other people’s songs. We almost certainly won’t know them.

Don’t get arsey when we say no to the above request.

If you’re going to buy us a round of tequila or sambuca shots. please wait until after the gig. Our drummer really can’t keep time when pissed 😉

RustySpanner

Nearly given up on quiet gigs because of talking.

Used to be just the bored girlfriends at the back, now it seems to be everyone.

On the upside, at least a phone won’t set your hair on fire.
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I find standing in front of the shortest wee man in the venue is a sure-fire winner.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Because it’s a social event?

TINAS, I think we are getting our levels of talking mixed up. Im referring to someone/people that have seemingly no interest in the event taking place, talking SO LOUD, about daily life/other people/drivel, that simply ignoring them becomes impossible. Of course I don’t expect silence from the crowd, but I do expect people that have paid quite a significant figure to enjoy a performance to stop for a moment and enjoy the performance.
    Just as I would expect the same at Opera/cinema/ballet/most social events?
    Pubs/parks are for chatting shit. Please, DO NOT STAND NEAR ME AT A GIG

stands just ahead of the sound desk, facing the stage, hands in pockets, talking to no one, because that’s where the music is best

As it happens I did just that half way through a GSY!BE gig last year that I was struggling to get in to, and suddenly it all made sense. The sound/s came together and the whirr of the projectors behind me added to a stunning aural assault.
    Was so good to be at a gig where everybody in attendance was there to readily experience a musical… experience.

Northwind

centralscrutinizer – Member

Girls sitting on their boyfriends shoulders.

Protective boyfriends. Girl is down front at rock gig, boyfriend stands behind her and tries to erect a forcefield. A thousand people doing their nuts but if you so much as bounce in her direction it’s an act of war. The really odd thing is the number of times the girl is obviously no keener on it than anyone else.

The constant crowdsurfer. I like a bit of crowdsurfing, I’ll do it myself if it feels right, in the right crowd, and I do like carrying people over- a good lift is a beautiful thing. But for whatever reason, the constant crowdsurfer also has no idea what the right crowd is or how to do it, he’ll do it in the last 10 seconds of a song, he’ll flop about like a dead fish and be harder to keep up, he’ll try and climb up people without asking for a lift or get lifted right behind a gaggle of kids and immedately collapse them, usually he’ll have boots on which he’ll not kick with, but will just sort of aimlessly bump off everyone’s heads like a drowned man washing ashore… Constant Crowdsurfer is some sort of retard basically.

And for that matter, the guy who likes the idea of a moshpit, but is too scared to go in one so instead just tries to start one of his own, usually far from the action and while surrounded by people who want none of it. It’s one of life’s great pleasures to grab one of these and throw them into a real pit.

thisisnotaspoon – Member

There’s always that one guy (who I now realize is off STW) who stands just ahead of the sound desk, facing the stage, hands in pockets, talking to no one, because that’s where the music is best and moans that everyone else way of experiencing gigs is wrong.

And that’s great, because he’s enjoying himself and doing no harm. Talking ****s spoil it for other people.

paladin

slimjim78 – Member
    I think I may have been to too many loud gigs over the years.
    I now have to concentrate to hear the best bits!

Tinnitus sucks.

Eh????

Folk filming it on their pissy mobiles. Only avoidable by getting right to the front.

Cougar

Our drummer really can’t keep time when pissed

Mate of mine is a bassist. He got so depressed with the rest of the band ribbing him about his timing that he threw himself behind a train.

ajantom

Mate of mine is a bassist. He got so depressed with the rest of the band ribbing him about his timing that he threw himself behind a train.

I’m using that at practice tonight 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

Eh????

Earplugs now for me at loud gigs im afraid. Couldn’t hear anything but whistling for several days after a Steel Panther gig a couple years ago.

I know, I deserved the punishment.

toby1

… what are the things that really grind your gears whilst spectating at a gig?

Just the one thing really; people.

seadog101

At festivals, dont go near the side of the crowd closest to where the boom camera swings over the crowd. That be the zone of the bellend.

Nico
    Free Member

Who are PSB? Or is that actually their name? Is it like Peter Maxwell Davies but with a different name?

franki
    Free Member

Who are PSB? Or is that actually their name? Is it like Peter Maxwell Davies but with a different name?

My guess would be Public Service Broadcasting. (?)

Cougar

Pet Shop Boys, I’d hazard.

Cougar

Or them. ^^

lucky7500

Seriously, Arcade Fire at Hyde Park 2014, I could barely hear the music for a group of girls that had absolutely no interest in doing anything but screech at each other about other girls. I don’t think they even face the stage once.

Strangely I was at that same gig and had the same problem, but with a mixed group whose sole interest appeared to be discussing moving house!! I was forced to move further forward as well and also had a fantastic time. 🙂 I honestly can’t understand why anyone would spend £50+ on a ticket just to treat the event like being down the local pub.

spchantler – I’ve never come across anyone other than me who likes the Lovely Eggs!!

headfirst
    Free Member

“Gig etiquette”? From my recent experiences there is no such thing as this any more. No one cares about anyone’s enjoyment apart from their own. Self-interested pricks.

I blame Thatcher. 🙁

slimjim78
    Free Member

lucky – I think the problem that day was heavily discounted tickets combined with hot summer evening. Venue wasn’t sold out and tickets were reportedly being sold for £5 on final day – queue annoying non-interested crowd.

slimjim78
    Free Member

ah man, keep the Tories outta my thread please. I was with you till that point.

I tend to agree, society in general seems to have an overblown sense of self-absorbedness now. Just ask TINAS 🙂

As it goes, I genuinely enjoy gigs far better when the crowd are having as good a time as me – and I try to do my bit to ensure that happens for them.
    If that means keeping quiet, then cool, or if it means jumping around hugging strangers, cool.

Oh yeah, PSB = Public Service Broadcasting. In my case at least.

Can someone embed this for me?:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-kAnvOY80[/video]

<Mod edit> Yes! You need to use the full domain name, the youtu.be shortcut doesn’t work. </mod edit>

or Everest, or Spitfire, or London can take it.

vickypea
    Free Member

Blocking other folks’ view by filming with a smartphone. When I last saw the Temperance Movement, the woman in front of me did that persistently until (thankfully) her battery ran out.

Disappearing to the bar for half an hour and expecting to push through and reclaim your position near the front.

Drunks fighting. Two large and very drunk lads spent most of a Volbeat gig headbutting each other.

A minor annoyance of mine is that I always seem to stand near women with enormous shoulder bags, that I get constantly nudged with as they dance. What do they put in these enormous bags?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Gig etiquette’ is closed to new replies.