Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Gifts for NHS staff
  • adamhicks
    Free Member

I’m assuming there are a few NHS staff on here…

Long and short, I’m taking my elder sister in for an operation on Wednesday and she has the mother of all needle phobias. Like a massive phobia.

The staff will have their work cut out dealing with her so I will want to thank them. Question is: What am I allowed to give them. I’m assuming food stuff’s aren’t allowed, so the question is: What gift can I give staff that is allowed in a hospital?

Cheers in advance.

allthepies
    Free Member

STW subscription ? 😉

I’ve seen lots of boxes of chocs in hospitals come Christmas time and everyone loves boxes of chocs right ? 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

We get cards saying thank you. You’d be surprised how much they’re appreciated

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t give them chocolates; most nurses (my sister included) don’t need more chocolates.

olddog

… bottle of scotch – or is that just my GP?

tthew

I’m assuming food stuff’s aren’t allowed,

You should watch One Born Every Minute. The amount of cake Midwives trough would put a moderately sized Audax to shame!

lemonysam
    Free Member

The gift of dance?

dan1980
    Free Member

I wrote a letter of thanks, naming the nurses and Drs that had done a fantastic job looking after me to the patient liaison people at the hospital

When I popped in for a follow up, my consultant and some of the nurses present seemed genuinely suprised and appreciative of the effort.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

A thank you letter to the hospital naming the staff who dealt with you and a box of chocolates.

ratherbeintobago

Assuming all goes smoothly, what the medical staff (surgeon & anaesthetist) will really appreciate is a letter of thanks naming them. We are obliged to collect patient feedback, which is more difficult than you’d think (especially for the gas board, as all our patients are asleep most of the time we’re with them…); a letter can be put in the annual appraisal folder.

Andy

sbob
    Free Member

I’m not a nurse, but the last three disabled customers I’ve had in have all sent me a card thanking me for the exceedingly high levels of service I’ve afforded them.
    That’s all it takes, and it’s really appreciated.

adamhicks
    Free Member

excellent, thank you

willard

When my wife was in hospital recently I took in a load of biscuits of various types and then, after the second extended stay, some extra teabags and some chocolates.

It wasn’t much to make up for all the help they were, but it was all I could think of.

noteeth
    Free Member

most nurses don’t need more chocolates

Over the best part of 20 years in the NHS, I’ve seen (and eaten) a veritable avalanche of Quality Street… and just one fruit basket. 😯

a letter of thanks naming them

This – letters and cards get pinned to the wall of our staff room, and they are always a (much-needed) morale booster & greatly appreciated. Plus, wards should be giving patients comment cards upon discharge – be sure to fill them out.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Letters and flowers and Whisky/ champagne

Please…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs says, ‘thank you cards, decent coffee, choccies/biscuits’ In no particular order.

Drac

A letter or card of thanks is very much appreciated with our Trust any we receive a copy goes on your record.

Gifts are always welcome and can be whatever you want but the member of staff has to declare them for tax purposes, which we always do of course. 😉

Kuco

I sent a simple email thanking all the departments that tried to save my father. Got an email back saying it would be sent to all relevant departments and would be appreciated.

jodafett

A thank you card with some tea and coffee (my wife’s suggestion, she’s a nurse)

Edit: she just added cupcakes!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A framed poster of Jeremy Hunt.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t they go a bit soggy ?

noteeth
    Free Member

Don’t they go a bit soggy ?

Ach, you know what I mean. 😉

choppersquad
    Free Member

^^^ Awesome !!

eskay

A letter of thanks (if you received good care!). Most wards have a ward fund, you can often stipulate that a donation is to be used towards a ward night out for the nurses (they usually have one or two during the year!).

Drac

noteeth said » wards should be giving patients comment cards upon discharge

Many do now. Our local hospital trust has developed a system where you are given a token at each department as you leave you drop a token in a box on how satisfied you are with the service. There’s about ten options and as it’s so easy to do they get a good response.

bruneep

No more chocolate please the is wife turning into a bit of a biffer thanks to well meaning public.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A visiting masseuse to hand out free neck massages…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Gifts for NHS staff’ is closed to new replies.