Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Gibraltar and Spanish enclaves on African soil
  • scud
    Free Member

With the issues with Gibraltar rearing their head again, I have always wondered why the Spanish feel it is unjust that Gibraltar is under UK control, but it is fine for them to have two enclaves on African soil “in” Morocco at Cueta and Melilla as tax free zones?

Is it not double standards on Spain’s part?

Used to take tourists round Morocco after getting them to fly into Malaga airport, we always used to get the ferry across to Ceuta which has cheaper fuel than both Spanish mainland and Morocco and filled up loads of jerry cans to start trip off.

bails

I suppose if Spain was in some kind of crucial negotiations with a North African union and Morocco had veto power over any agreement then the issue might come up. But until Spain puts itself in that position they can carry on doing what’s best for them.

scud
    Free Member

The Moroccans have argued that these enclaves belong to them in the same way, the Spanish do with Gib and they are two horrible borders for the Spanish to Police.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10235205/The-battle-over-Ceuta-Spains-African-Gibraltar.html

mrmo
    Free Member

In the same way HK, Macau, were pawns in global politics, Gibraltar, Cueta, Falklands, etc will all be played when the time is right and the benefits deemed sufficient.

footflaps

I suppose if Spain was in some kind of crucial negotiations with a North African union and Morocco had veto power over any agreement then the issue might come up. But until Spain puts itself in that position they can carry on doing what’s best for them.

🙂

The whole Gibraltar thing is 100% an own goal. We set ourselves up for it / walked straight into it.

I think it’s quite funny really (but then I don’t live in Gibraltar, so the whole Brexit thing is just a black comedy, which will make me much poorer).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Gibraltar and Spanish enclaves on African soil’ is closed to new replies.