Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Giardia – an experiences?
  • GregMay
    Free Member

Possible I may have giardia. Not the end of the world, i’ve been pooping like a trooper for two weeks now, samples gone off to get checked for it, and any other nasties.

Any one had it before? Any long lasting effects? Did it take long to clear up if you took an antibiotic? Side effects?

On the plus side, I’ve managed to drop 4kg in 2 weeks and have zero hunger. Perfect for Twentyfour12….at least I’ll be light. Albeit not having ridden my bike in two weeks. I suspect I’ll be pootling for the race.

Hah, poo-tling.

GregMay
    Free Member

Damn it…shouldn’t be in the bike forum.

MOD – can you move please?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive had it.

If you have it you will know.

Sulpherous burping and vomiting, sewage smelling running explosive poo , serious stomach cramps.

I had it for 4 weeks between abel tasman on south island and cambridge in north island.

I dropped nearly 2 stone – combo of not eating and pooin what little i did eat out almost immediately. And cycling 100km a day – felt seriously weak.

Visited 3 doctors on the way north all said it was just a passing bug

Went to a private quacks and got doxycycline and it cleared up with 3 days and hasnt been seen again. Although i was told you may never get rid of it it just lies dormant – certainly hasnt come back on me yet .

GregMay
    Free Member

I can contest to mostly passing very, very toxic smelling water. Not been solid for 16 days now 🙁

stevemakin

yup, lasted about two weeks or so, I can remember swallowing the sheep shit that caused it :-/

Stainypants

i had it for about 8 weeks, doctor couldn’t work out what it was. Swallowing sheep poo ghyll scrambling. Lost 2 stone didn’t want to eat and couldn’t drink alcohol or my guts instantly emptied. You can get anti-biotics to treat it i didn’t bother as i was just coming out of it by the time I worked out what it was.

GregMay
    Free Member

Ok, you’re the second person who’s mentioned the alcohol link as well….I’ve had that twice, both times after one beer.

stevemakin

hmm, could just be the thing I need 😉

BillOddie

I’ve had and you’ll defo know if you got it, which it sounds like you do.

I didn’t take anything i just let it runs it’s course.

rkk01
    Free Member

Sulpherous burping and vomiting, sewage smelling running explosive poo , serious stomach cramps.

This.

Only down two days, but weak for a week or more.

The two days were a hell of unannounced, synchronous, double ended liquid eruptions. I wouldn’t go near my sleeping bag for fear of not being able to exit quick enough. One unlucky companion suffered an in-bag eruption 😐

GregMay
    Free Member

One unlucky companion suffered an in-bag eruption

I’ve nearly had a bed related one…just about woke up in time.

Off to get blood taken tomorrow, hopefully between that and the poo in a tube test they can get an idea what is going on.
    I just miss food.

MrSparkle

You’re the Irishman, you should know what your Police are like…

GregMay
    Free Member

Oh you 🙂

Moses

I had it years ago, in Nepal. I remember having to leap over walls to avoid pooing in the road, very embarrassing.
    Flagyl / metronidazole cleared it up in no time.

tang
    Free Member

My wife had it years ago when we were living in a tent for a summer. Everything stank!

dunmail
    Free Member

If not treated it can affect your liver.

I’ve had it, not nice. Flagyl treats it effectively (five day course from memory) but avoid alcohol whilst taking it and for a few days afterwards unless you want the hangover from hell 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Giardia – an experiences?’ is closed to new replies.