Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Giant xtc 29er opinions please….
  • popps
    Free Member

Anybody riding one, what’s your thoughts on it?
    Any nice pictures of it?
    Seen a good deal on last years one…you know how it is…

bowglie

Yep, I’ve got an aluminium one (also used to have the carbon version) and it’s a keeper. Like yourself, I saw the alu one reduced in a last years model sale, and took a gamble on it. I’ve ridden quite a variety of terrain/locations on it, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is. Forget all the rubbish about 29ers being ponderous, only for XC racing etc etc., it’s just a brilliant bike. Obviously, it depends on how and where you ride, but for UK trail centres it’s a complete blast, as if you get the right size, it’s quite a nimble and flickable bike. It’s possibly not what the bike was designed for 😉 , but I’ve spent a few hours looning around on the Pace bike park at Dalby on mine, and it’s a great laugh – really good in the air, and super for railing and flicking between berms. Just to see what it was like, I’ve also tried it down black DH trails, and obviously, although I wasn’t DH bike fast, it felt perfectly fine – no twitchiness or weird handling traits.

On really rough natural trails in the Peak and Scotland, I found that the bike behaved better with its stock wheelset than the lighter Crest wheels that I tried (I guess it depends on your weight – & the Crests were fine in trail centres). The bike is way better in the rough than a decent steel 26er hardtail, but it does remind you that its still a hardtail! I’ve done back to back rides on the XTC29 and Cotic Solaris and IMO, the Solaris is the better bike for rough natural terrain, but for trail centres and woodland singletrack, the XTC felt much livelier and fun.

TBH, the only other bikes that have immediately impressed me as much have been things like carbon Santa Cruz Tallboy & TB LT’s (and being a bike whore, I’ve tried and owned quite a few!). The XTC29 has got that great combination of being nimble, poppy and fun, yet stable and relatively forgiving at speed or on steep ground.

….can you guess I like the XTC29 yet?!!

The only thing I would recommend is to try and get a sit or quick ride of different sized frames if you are on the cusp of two sizes, as there’s quite a jump up in top-tube and wheelbase length.

er…so, in summary, yes, get one! 😀 HTH

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Great bike.
    Mine set up for XC racing but did ride it on the HONC this year.
    Was plenty comfy enough with 2.2 Ikons tubeless at 30 ps and a Syntace Hi-flex carbon post.
    Gets winter duty too with rigid forks.
    A great all rounder!
    Got mine to 21.5 lbs with Rockshox Sids.
    It’s an XL frame too!
    Thanx,
    Max

dyls

Ive got a 2013 xtc advanced 1 29er, very impressed with it (would say that though!), light at 21.5lb including pedals. For xc duties, some road etc its spot on, something like the marin trail its excellent as it isnt too rough, but CYB is a bit too much imo and for that type of riding id get a full suss.

It maintains speed very well when you get going.

benji
    Free Member

The 2015 is a higher grade of carbon than the 2014 version, most of my team mates race them and love them, won’t be tempted to anything else.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have they abandoned the XTC advanced in 2015?

Is was temptied by 2014 version but worried if they were too much of a race bike.

weeksy

Very good, fast, light and well spec’d 29er XC/Race bike. Had one of the 2012’s for a while and really enjoyed it.

MoreCashThanDash

Having just bought a heavily discounted Giant road bike in the sales, I now have a terrible urge to search for an XTC to keep it company….

bowglie

was temptied by 2014 version but worried if they were too much of a race bike

Don’t worry about them being too race bike, as IMO, they’re much more versatile and trail friendly than a lot of pure XC race bikes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Giant xtc 29er opinions please….’ is closed to new replies.