Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Giant XTC 29er and other dwarf-suitable SSable 29ers
  • bentudder

Looks tidy, costs £399 and they do a small enough size for a 5’7″ shortarse like me:

The question is; is that a PF30 shell or similar? Only I’m quite keen on riding it as a singlespeed, and could use something like this QBP Problem solvers 46mm EBB job:

actually, hang it: anyone got a 16″ 29er with 100mm – 120mm forks that’s singlespeedable? I’m looking at options:

XTC frame as above
    Santa Cruz Highball AL
    Trek Stache

Of the three, the Highball is definitely singlspeedable – and very nicely so. not sure on the other two…

nbt

On-one scandal 29er with SS dropouts

ScandAl by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

that’s a 16″, I’m 5’9″ with a 32″ inseam. If you;re close to me (Stockport) you are welcome to try it for size

bentudder

Cheers chap – I’m a long way from Stockport, unfortunately. 🙁 How does it ride? Any handling issues I should be aware of? Looks pretty tidy.

Bregante

Cheers chap – I’m a long way from Stockport, unfortunately

That’s not something you hear very often! 🙂

weeksy

My XTC29 is a 2011 and is standard 73mm shell english thread.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Giant bb is pressfit 92.

How about an OO Scandal, Cotic Simple, Genesis High Latitude SS, Canfield Nimble 9 or Pivot Les if you are feeling flush.

BTW 120mm on a 29er is quite a bit

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

pace RC129 comes in small size also. Got one and love it.

The giant is a really nice ride I demo’d one a year ago. no shame in a nice tensioner.

nbt

it’s my current “go-to” bike for local rides. He may get some stick but Brant designs good bikes that ride well, for me. I love mine,

h4muf
    Free Member

Me too! Scandal 29ers rock!

bentudder

Thanks all. I see Genesis is selling its High Latitude frames pretty reasonably, too – and I loved my old iO singlespeed frameset.
    Thanks for all the advice. I just need to find someone in the Surrey Hills who has a small Scandal I can borrow, now. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Singular swift or karate monkey or the salsa one don’t know name, just bought one today too lol

takisawa2

Niner do a 14″… 🙂

Niner_MCE_XS by pten2106, on Flickr

My 16″ fits me perfectly at 5′ 9″.

bentudder

Singular swift or karate monkey or the salsa one don’t know name, just bought one today too lol

Hey Mick – good to see you back!
    I actually ride a Singular Hummingbird at the moment – the 69er / 26er job, as Sam doesn’t do 29er frames for midgets. He has a point, I think, but it seems that smaller frames are now getting a bit more sorted, geometry-wise.

What isn’t happening is availability of demo rides. Swapping a wheel size is a big deal, especially if you’re at the short end of things.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers fella 😉 its been while hoping the new bike will get me back into it

flatfish
    Free Member

My Mrs rides a Niner EMD in small. She’s 5’3″.
    Cost’s the same as the Giant.
    I have an older, ’09 maybe, Giant XTC 29er which I love. I’m 6′ and ride a large.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Giant XTC 29er and other dwarf-suitable SSable 29ers’ is closed to new replies.