Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • GIANT TRANCE STEM SIZE
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the size is for the stem on a giant trance 2012 please.
    I want to buy a shorter stem(the shortest i can get if anyone can help with that) so could do with knowing the stock themsizes so i can find a new one.
    thanks in advance
    kev

flow
    Free Member

Errrr, yeah.

backtothetop
    Free Member

thats helpful

scaredypants

GUESS:

probably needs an oversize handlebar (31.8mm) – assuming you’re keeping the existing one

top of yr steerer tube is very likely to be inch and an eighth (28.6?)

BUT

measure both of these with a caliper if you have one or else by eye and ruler if you’re careful

measure your existing stem from centre to centre of the 2 “holes” (where it fits over steerer and where the bars pass through

shortest you can get is prob 40mm or more likely 50 but you may find that too short, esp if yr frame is L or XL

buy cheap or secondhand & try for size, then either keep or buy a bling one if you must

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry to be obtuse, but how do you know the stock stem is too long for you until you try?

I replaced the original 110mm with an inverted 70mm and removed all bar one of the spacers on my medium 2008 TranceX when I fitted a wider bar and a 30mm longer fork. A shorter stem and it would definitely feel too cramped for me. But it all depends on your size and shape.

To sum up : get the bike and ride it stock for a bit before you work out what adjustments you want.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood – you have the bike already but don’t know how to measure the stem. What ^ he said

Holyzeus
    Free Member

If its a genuine 2012 model they have adopted a new standard….
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/giant-2012-mountain-bikes-first-look-31083
    So no its not the usual inch and a eighth

backtothetop
    Free Member

ive been out on it a few times now and im too far over the front end when hitting jumps,so a short stem will help me with positioning.i had a go on my mates bike, and was so much more comfortable.

scaredypants- thats spot on cheers,the numbers on the side of it make sense now

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

giants have a habit of coming over-stemmed if your’e talking length. Munqe Chick’s XS Reign (ie. 6″ DH biased bike in tiniest frame size) came with a 90mm, as did her more recent small Cypher (girly specific trance X) so you can probably go a LOT shorter than stock.

Whether you’ll want to is a different matter. Are you buying the bike knowing its too big and trying to compensate, as others have said you should really try it first? I’m not the most sensitive rider but I can feel the difference in a 10mm change in stem length (from bitter experience of trying about 4 before finding my mummy-bear length). so going straight from say 90 to 50 could totally ruin the ride.

flow
    Free Member

Why don’t they just leave things alone, there was nothing wrong with standard tapered stuff.

It can be adapted to fit current Giant models with tapered head tubes, but this involves swapping out the top bearing, headset cup, spacers, stem and fork.

Ahhh, nice and simple then.

backtothetop
    Free Member

its this one http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/trance.x.4/9335/49883/ and im totally new to the sport so bought the bike that won mbr magazine bike of the year, not just cos won but i really like the styling of it too.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

You’ll prob have to go to/contact a Giant shop and see if they do shorter stems yet for the new standard.
    Agree Flow, think they have shot themselves in the foot with this one

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘GIANT TRANCE STEM SIZE’ is closed to new replies.