• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sv.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Giant Trance first proper ride impressions!!
  • renton
    Free Member

Well after initially not enjoying this bike and seriously considering selling it I took it out for a decider of a ride today in the local woods.

Straight away I have to say I’ve done a complete 180 on it and have decided that with a few component changes its staying. :mrgreen:

I’m still not used to it and 27.5 As a whole but going down some of the tracks today that I’ve previously done on my five spot I felt a lot better and the bike felt a lot more capable.

It’s needing a shock tune or swap as it just feels rubbish it descend mode blowing through its travel even with a volume reducer fitted. I don’t think I’m the first to say that though.

Also despite saying it felt shorter length wise I still want to put a shorter stem on it. I will probably try a 50mm(down from 70mm) and see how it goes.

I also want to fit a longer travel fork. The Trance sx comes with a 160mm fork and is the same frame as this one however I think I’m going to go 150mm.

Finally the front draggy as you like Hans Dampf is going to. I was riding along the path to the woods and as soon as I hit a bit of trail you could feel all momentum go out of the bike.

Sorry for rambling on.

Thanks to all those that said get out and ride it before making a decision.

granny_ring

Send the shock to Loco for a fettle?

renton
    Free Member

What can they do to it to help ??

Bregante

Tell him your weight and riding style/preference and he will tune it for you. Makes a huge difference from experience.

Good to hear you’re persevering with it.

jonnyrockymountain

Keep it pal and keep tweeking to get it right, I have just built up an anthem 650b and first ride ok, 2nd ride an a few tweeks nice and 3rd ride an more tweeks bloody lovely!!!

seavers
    Free Member

Glad you like the bike, I saw it for sale. They are a nice ride, had a demo on one. Worth having the shock tuned. LOCO did a fab job on my old Five that blew through the travel. I reckon with the changes you suggest you will be loving it!

SirHC

Which shock is fitted to it?

renton
    Free Member

Fox Float ctd evo.

I also seem to have a gap in the rebound turn 1 click one way and its to slow then 1 click other way is to fast.

rickon
    Free Member

CTD evo cant really be tuned. Id recommend playing with air pressures or fitting a bigger volume reducer, then when it needs a service… buy an upgraded shock.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve put quite large volume reducer in it and it has helped somewhat but in descend mode I can’t tell what the rear end is doing and if I leave it in trail mode going downhill its to harsh.

Never had this problem with a rp23.

dirtydog
    Free Member

This

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-vorsprung-corset-air-sleeves-2015.html

sounds like it would help with the wallowing mid stroke, considering one for my five.

granny_ring

I was looking for another shock for my prophet and Loco was saying to avoid the EVO if possible, not a good shock.
    How about selling yours on ebay and getting something better?

rp16v
    Free Member

I thought it was abit soon to see it up for sale lol
    Its a bike u have to push hard to get it to shine properly they like to be abused even my old one is the same and that has a rp23 kash
    Its been picked up a couple of times reg the shock being a bit iffy in what mode did u setup the pressures it should be done in fully open(descend)

Haven’t used mine for a little while sins building my fully rigid mite take it for a rag this week

renton
    Free Member

Shock pressures done with the shock fully open.

I’ve got the sag perfect but yet in full descend mode it feels really underdamped.

I did the same run with the shock in trail and found it a bit harsh over small stuff like roots.

What shock would be better on the bike.

mikey74
    Free Member

My experience is pretty much the same: I was going to swap the forks out first but actually, they feel OK, and I’ve decided the shock needs replacing more.

**Slight hi-jack**

So, what shock would people recommend? The RS Monarchs seem to be reasonably priced.

renton
    Free Member

Mikey from what I’ve read on pinkbike the rockshox rear shock with piggy back bit is meant to be good.

Folk are also fitting longer stroke shocks to give more travel.

granny_ring

What size is the shock?

renton
    Free Member

200×51.

sv

I have a Trance SX 2014, only had one ride so far. Avalanche have a new bit of kit just out for the Evo shock. $229 and they fit it, would need sent to USA though. I have a DB Inljne on mine (200×57), still needs a bit of tuning. Also have a FIT cart to go into the fork, once Loco comes back to me with tuning options…think he is busy though 🙁

sv

Just to add the spacer can be removed during a service making the standard shock 200×57.

renton
    Free Member

Sv where is the spacer fitted in the standard shock ??

How are you finding the sx then. Is that the one that comes with 160mm forks.

sv

Renton – not sure but it must be internal as they need the nitrogen recharged after removal. The Talas fork is pretty good in terms of the travel adjust, my one ride was mainly all up then swoopy down stuff. Ran nearly the whole day at 140 only 160 on the bigger stuff.

I have been changing the brakes out for some slx I had, it’s taken a while!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance first proper ride impressions!!’ is closed to new replies.