Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant Trance Advanced SX, should I?
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Thinking of replacing the SB66c with one of those new fangled 650b bikes and the above Trance model seems to tick the boxes for me as my one and only bike for trail and general AM duties.
    General price seems good (compared with the Bronsons and Mach6’s out there) but lack of real world review is making me hesitant, however to get a good deal I need to plonk down a deposit in the next 2 days.
    Please Trance Advanced SX, or Trance owners in general, let me know how good they are?

sprocker
    Free Member

I have/had a trance really nice frame just a bit steep for what I wanted, this has been sorted on the new ones I think. Bearings easy to change and the new ones look better to.

craigofscotland
    Free Member

Really well built, the frames are larger than I expected, even though im a medium 18″ on every other fs bike, I reckon I could actually go to Small frame on the trance. The top tubes nearly touching mr lefty when im standing over.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend one as i work in a store that supplies Giant bikes, but a lot of the bikes have long waiting times. Some up until WK19 2014 until they are available in some sizes. That is a worse case scenario but always something to look at.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for the feedback so far, will try to get my leg over a standard Trance to see if the top tube could pinch the old chap when standing. Expecting an April delivery if I drop the deposit.
    Been riding Santa Cruz or Yeti’s for the last few years but friends who have been riding Anthems and Trances over the last 2 years cant speak highly enough of them, and the pricing and kit is good compared to the popular boutique brands.

honourablegeorge

Be aware of Giant’s stupid, pointless “Overdrive” standard – propietary sizing for steerers, stems and headsets.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    There is a good/bronze coloured one in Iron Horse Cyclery in Darlington.
    Not sure of size-could be medium or large but it’s about£1800.
    Looks like a mix of kit-Zee cranks 1×10, Deore brakes but I think it has a Fox 34 fork and a decent wheel set and a dropper post.
    If I was looking for a one and only bike could be tempted
    Cheers
    Steve

chakaping
    Free Member

Owned a few Giants with the Maestro suspension.

Looks like the geometry is up to date on the SX, but in the past they were a touch steep and short.

Very reliable and the alu frames are lovely and light.

The suspension action is very neutral, which I used to like – but would now look for something with a bit more tautness.

JCL
    Free Member

They’re too square. I’d never run anything longer than a 40mm stem these days but that length stem on a medium is ridiculously short. The large reach with a 40mm is fine but then the top tube/seat tube is nearly as high as my road bike.

Shame as the geo is okay (but still too steep), the suspension is good, build quality is great etc. They’re just a bit too conservative/dated with sizing.

stewartc
    Free Member

Well I have bitten the bullet and put a deposit down for a medium with delivery in April, the price offered by my LBS was to good to miss, especially for a carbon front frame with X01, Float X shock, Talas upfront, dropper, Avid 9 Brakes and carbon rims (own brand but with DT Swiss Hubs).
    Buying in Hong Kong, but for you in the UK the price in GBP worked out around 3050, not too shoddy.

RE: Overdrive, its seems I can get a shorter stem via CRC or local shops, 1.5″ is not that rare.

JCL
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it works out for you. Lovely looking thing.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The shortest stem in the Uk market is a 70mm. It’s not because it’s 1.5 but because it’s 1 1/4 at the top rather than 1 1/8th.

In America they do as small as a 48mm I think so should be able to source one.

Looks great! Nice choice.

stewartc
    Free Member

Thanks for the link JCl, looks like something to worry about after the bike shows up but good to know my options

br
    Free Member

and the pricing and kit is good compared to the popular boutique brands.

But since you’ve already one of those, what are you gaining?

The SB66c can only be a couple of years old, what’s wrong with it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I like the idea of the SX very much but the wheels are too small.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stewartc – i cant believe your swapping your sb66C for a giant! the giants well specced for £3050 dont get me wrong, but your sb66c is such a looker, seems like a massive downgrade to me, especially since you put the pikes on 🙁

stewartc
    Free Member

BR & OW, a nice bonus and a hankering to try 650b plus not impressed with the SB75 is the main reason, I should also get a reasonable price for my XX1 & Pike equipped SB66c which should cover a large part of this bikes purchase.
    TH, tried friends 29ers, and apart from the Niner RDO I just couldn’t feel the love, however been on both Scott 710 and a Bronson and did.
    Was thinking of a Bronson but I just can’t see the value, it’s nearly 35% more expensive than the Trance here but not 35% the improvement (opinions may vary), also I know 3 people who I ride with who have them!

andypaul99
    Free Member

i cant believe your swapping your sb66C for a giant! the giants well specced for £3050 dont get me wrong, but your sb66c is such a looker, seems like a massive downgrade to me

I’d have the Giant SX over the sb66c any day of the week 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance Advanced SX, should I?’ is closed to new replies.