Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Giant Trance 27.5 sizing
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering how they size up really.

Conflicting reports over on pink bike and mtbr saying someone 6foot2 should be on a xl size bike whereas giants own sizing chart puts them on a large.

How tall are you and what size do you ride.

deviant
    Free Member

5 ft 9 inch, bought the medium which is 18 inches I believe.

Nick

5’11, medium, large would have been ok too

renton
    Free Member

I know it’s a bit late now as my trance should be here on Monday and I went for a large.

Compared to my 5 spot it’s 2 inches shorter in the seat tube but near enough the same in effective top tube length.

So in theory it should be fine for me at 6 foot 1 and a smidge with long torso.

renton
    Free Member

Anyone else got one ?

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I’m 5.10 and ride a M Anthem 27.5

gasgasser
    Free Member

5ft 10 here and my medium Trance 1 27.5 is fine

craig78
    Free Member

Hi, riding 2014 giant trance 2 large. I’m 6ft. It’s a big rig in my opinion. I’ve personally fitted wider bars(renthals fatbar) and reverb. Bike is awesome in my opinion.

lexinoo
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and have a medium anthem.I think I will try a large when I replace it as I feel that Its a tad small despite giants size guide suggesting otherwise.

lexinoo
    Free Member

Oops duplicate post.

gaz552
    Free Member

I’m about 5′ 10″ and have a medium Trance 27.5, found the bike to be rather long (especially compared to a specialized and a commencal I’d sat on).
    Swapped out the standard 75mm stem for a 50mm and change the handlebars to a set of renthal fatbars at 770mm wide.

So I’d say giants sizing is quite accurate (maybe long compared to some) but you will notice that the stem and choice of handlebars have a large impact on feel.

SirHC

renton – Member
    I know it’s a bit late now as my trance should be here on Monday and I went for a large.

Compared to my 5 spot it’s 2 inches shorter in the seat tube but near enough the same in effective top tube length.

So in theory it should be fine for me at 6 foot 1 and a smidge with long torso.

The reach on the xl 5 spot is 416mm, where as a large trance is 440mm, Almost an inch difference! Reach is more important than top tube length and more consisent than top tube length when comparing bikes.

mikey74
    Free Member

The reach on the xl 5 spot is 416mm, where as a large trance is 440mm, Almost an inch difference! Reach is more important than top tube length and more consisent than top tube length when comparing bikes.

An inch is hardly the end of the world, is it? You could quite easily lose that in a bit of saddle adjustment and a change of stem. Hell, even a slight rotation of the bars (assuming risers) will help lose some of that difference.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve always gone off effective top tube to be honest so don’t really know to much about the reach.

How does it affect the bike.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine. I test rode one in Whistler last year (a proper AM ride, rather than just around the car park) and the medium felt perfect for me @ 5ft 10 (178cm). Before I ordered mine I checked the Giant size chart and the medium was spot on, according to that, so I think it is fairly accurate.

SirHC

I’d rather buy the right sized frame in the first place and avoid having to compromise on stem length and bar position. I set my bar rotation to get my arms in the right position, not to make the bike feel longer/shorter, same with the stem, it puts the bars in relation to the front axle to get the steering feel, not to change the length of the bike.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d rather buy the right sized frame in the first place and avoid having to compromise on stem length and bar position. I set my bar rotation to get my arms in the right position, not to make the bike feel longer/shorter, same with the stem, it puts the bars in relation to the front axle to get the steering feel, not to change the length of the bike.

Oh come on!! We are talking millimetres of adjustment. That is a small (read: insignificant) price to pay for actually getting the bike you want.

renton
    Free Member

I had to run a payback post on the five spot so maybe a large with an inline dropper will be cool.

Giant think I should be on a large.

SirHC

24 is not insignificant and is very noticeable! Everyone has a personal preference and what suits them.

renton
    Free Member

What are you saying then sir HC

Compared to the large stumpjumpers I used to ride the reach is 13mm shorter.

SirHC

I’d get a test ride on both the large and xl, then decide for yourself. I will be ordering a large trance frame this week after demoing both a large trance and large reign. As a trail bike, the reign was simply too much bike, both in terms of travel, wheelbase and the slack head angle. The trance on the other hand was perfect for the riding I will be doing with it (xc, trail centres) I have a dh bike and 4x bike for everything else.

renton
    Free Member

How tall are you.

Surely if the large has a reach longer than my old bike then an xl is going to be even longer ???

mikey74
    Free Member

24 is not insignificant and is very noticeable! Everyone has a personal preference and what suits them.

But that’s my point: Unless you get a bike that is custom built to your exact dimensions then there will always be an element of fiddling around with your position. I would say 25mm is actually a small amount of adjustment when spread between saddle position, stem length, and handlebar rotation.

@Renton: Looking at the Giant size chart, 6ft 2 is slap bang in the middle of the range for the large. XL would be too big, unless you have disproportionally long arms and legs. Similarly, medium looks like it would be too small, unless you have disproportionally short arms and legs.

renton
    Free Member

Yep that’s what I thought to be honest.

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow if parcelforce get their fingers out.

Can’t wait to be honest.

sv

I am 6foot and my Trance is a medium, so you should be fine.

tenfoot

My brother is 6ft 1 inch and he’s on a large. Fits well.

antm81
    Free Member

6 foot 3 and I’m riding a large.

renton
    Free Member

Sweet. Cheers all.

How are you all finding the Fox forks and shock ?

cakefacesmallblock

Thanks for your comments on the Reign / Trance thing. Sir HC !
    Although I’ve not ridden either yet , I went to my lbs the other day to start the choosing process. I’ve been very pleased indeed with my now quite elderly 2008 trance and had been quite taken by the idea of a reign. I was amazed at how physically a big ( long) bike it appeared in the flesh. The new Trance is probably going to be my choice , slacker head angle , longer wheelbase and ” front centre” over what I currently have would seem to tick “the what could make it better ?”boxes. Test rides in next few weeks should confirm
    I’m 5’10 by the way, my old trance is a medium and the new one, I sat on , in the bike shop felt spot on in medium too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance 27.5 sizing’ is closed to new replies.