Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Giant Trance 27.5 Question
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone run 160mm travel forks on theirs? Does it climb ok?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I run 150 and it’s bloody brilliant

deviant
    Free Member

160mm on mine (X-Fusion Sweep), rides fine.

Giant sell this bike with 160mm forks in the Trance-SX version anyway, if you’re worried about a tall front end, higher BB etc then look for forks with a shorter axle to crown measurement.

Takes the head angle out to an #Enduro-tastic 66 degrees.

SirHC

I run mine with 150mm Pikes (HA is 66.5), feels perfect for trail riding.

rickon
    Free Member

Why not buy the Reign?

Why do you want to run 160mm forks?

cakefacesmallblock

160mm Pike is standard on the Trance 27.5 SX. Same frame.

deviant
    Free Member

rickon – Member
    Why not buy the Reign?

Why do you want to run 160mm forks?

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO #

Same reason people buy hardtails with suspension forks, some of us like more shock absorbing ability at the front of the bike.
    My own preference is for a taut rear end, can’t stand FS bikes that wallow in their rear travel (and that’s most in my experience), my own sweet spot seems to be 140mm of rear travel for trail use….160mm forks give me a slight margin for error to be clumsy and plough through the rough stuff.

Add in the loooong wheelbase on the Reign, the additional weight etc and I felt the Trance in SX mode probably suited my riding better.
    Some sage advice from a magazine once said: buy a bike for the riding you do as opposed to the riding you think you do.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. For the record: I ordered some new 150mm Revelation RCT3s last night.

The reason why I was asking about 160 forks was I was looking at some s/h Marzocchis but decided against it in the end.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I run 150 Pikes on mine and it’s great. I felt it was a good compromise between the 140 of the standard Trance and the 160 of the SX. I’ve not been disappointed as the bike still climbs well, even with a 55mm stem.

deviant
    Free Member

Mikey74, I ran Revs at 150mm when I first bought the frame, good choice!

Only reason I went to 160mm and changed to X-Fusion was for the added axle to crown length and the effect it all has on the head angle of said bike, the front of mine now looks slacker than the 66 degrees Giant state for the SX model.

It works for me while keeping the (relatively) short travel 140mm of the frame itself which retains the decent pedalling nature of the DW/Meastro link rear.

Think Nukeproof Mega TR with its mismatched travel (150/130) and you’re there or thereabouts with what I’ve created….Transition do a bike like it too, Ragley tried to launch one like it, the new Orange Segment has a similar ethos…for diehard hardtail fans like me it makes more sense than 160mm at both ends.

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree: there’s no reason why you shouldn’t run different amounts of travel front and rear.

The thing about my Trance is that I already have a dh bike so I’m trying to keep it xc/trail orientated, and the Revs seemed the best choice for that. I was going to get some 140 Sektor RLs but found a good deal on the Revs with the better damper unit.

x30ish
    Free Member

Do you have to change the headset to allow the forks to fit? If so can you confirm the specification.

Thanks

superstu
    Free Member

keeping the (relatively) short travel 140mm of the frame itself which retains the decent pedalling nature of the DW/Meastro link rear

140mm is relatively short travel?!

renton
    Free Member

150mm revs are ace on the front of the Trance !!

mikey74
    Free Member

Do you have to change the headset to allow the forks to fit? If so can you confirm the specification.

No, the 2015 Trance has a standard tapered head tube, with a standard tapered headset. OD2 is no longer available on the Trance.

150mm revs are ace on the front of the Trance !!

Yeah, but you didn’t return my email offering to buy your forks so I had to look elsewhere 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Ha sorry matey !!

Ive sold the whole bike Im afraid. me and the Trance just didnt get on !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance 27.5 Question’ is closed to new replies.