Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Giant Trance 2 27.5 advice
  • oldstumpy
    Free Member

Noticed some good deals currently on the 2015 model. Would be interested to hear feedback from any owners or even comments on what other options are worth considering in the £1400 – £1700 price range for a versatile / mid travel trail bike. Cheers

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Commencal V3 £1500 from them direct, Pike and 1×10.

Canyon Strive Al.

Radon Slide at Bike Discount.De.

kiksy
    Free Member

My friend has the 2015 2 and I’ve got the 2014 4 (upgraded to Pikes/ Monarch Plus , 1×10).

The 2015 2 Fox bits seem decent enough, think the Giant rims are a mission to get sorted tubeless.

Great bike, frame is very light and versatile. Race XC on it and took it to Morzine this year.

I’d say the Canyon Spectral is closer rival to the Trance than the Strive, but the Spectral smashes the Trance for equipment to £. I’ve not ridden a Canyon so can’t compare the ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deviant
    Free Member

I bought as a frame only as the complete builds obviously cant compare with the online retailers….and i hadnt built a bike up myself in ages so looked forward to speccing it to my wishes.

I bought it for the versatility, as above it can run 140mm travel, is very light and can make a good fist of being an easy to pedal, all day trail bike….but put 160mm forks on (as Giant sell it in the SX guise), the head angle goes out to 66 degrees and you have a great bike for smashing through things downhill.

The DW/Maestro link suspension is very plush and hard to bottom out, any concerns over how it handles rough stuff should be put aside when you realise the Giant Factory team were using them in the Enduro World Series until the new Reign came out this year.

Our American cousins are fond of swapping the rear shock (200 x 51) for one with a longer stroke: 200 x 57, giving more rear travel, about 155mm i believe and i have a shock with this longer stroke waiting to go on mine.

I love it and happily recommend it to anybody who asks and if you can get a good end of season deal then crack on….that said i’m also a fan of the direct sales models and Bird, YT, Canyon, Commencal, Rose etc all offer better build kits and components if you’re buying the whole bike….choice is great but can also be a bugger with so much of it around at the moment!

I’d say if you’re buying frame only and want to enjoy putting together a custom build for just you then buy a Trance frame….if you want a complete bike to get out on the trails with straight away then go down the direct sales route with your budget, only caveat would be to note delivery times before hitting the ‘buy’ button as some of them take months to get a bike to you and it that case its often easier to just walk into a Giant dealership and walk out again 30mins later with your new bike ready to hit the trails.

oldstumpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I did also look at the Canyon AL / Strive but then heard about the sizing issues for anyone 6ft+ (I hear they are now reviewing sizing based on feedback)

willstaffs
    Free Member

I Demo’d the 2 and thought it was ace, took delivery of the 3 yesterday as couldn’t quite bring myself to spend the extra on the 2, first ride tonight, can’t wait! I am just over 6ft 4″ and the XL felt perfect!

peepingtom
    Free Member

kiksy – Member

My friend has the 2015 2 and I’ve got the 2014 4 (upgraded to Pikes/ Monarch Plus , 1×10).

The 2015 2 Fox bits seem decent enough, think the Giant rims are a mission to get sorted tubeless.

Did my giant rims pretty easy on my Anthem sx and used the standard tyres , went on pretty easy tbh .

birky
    Free Member

Mine should arrive today 🙂

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Recently bought a trance1. Nothing to dislike about it so far. Only thing I changed were the bars for some zrenthal ones I like.
    Wheels might be a bit light for me and I’m not sire how long they will last but they have not died yet. 2×10 so not uber cool for the kids but I like having a granny just in case. It is a one bike solution for me. Going to sell the big bike which is overkill for my mincing and the 120 mm thing as two similar.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

So good I seem to have said it twice

oldstumpy
    Free Member

birky – out of interest who did you order from, cheapest i have seen online (for size L) is winstanleys

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

cyclesurgery are about £1360 as they have an extra 10% code off tii end of tomorrow

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-trance-27.5-2-2015/giant-mtb-full-suspension-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/61385?listing=true

BIKEEXTRA10 code

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance 2 27.5 advice’ is closed to new replies.