Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Giant TCX 2 – anything else I should be looking at?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

So, after tonights road ride I’ve decided tomorrow I’m pushing the button an a CX bike. I’ve got a £1k budget on the cycle to work scheme. I want a CX bike, not pure road, although I’ll chuck on a pair of chunky slicks for some longer road hacks, and I’ll be wanting to add a bike trailer / front mounted kiddie seat and mudguards for the winter. No actual CX racing, although it will be used for some bridal way hacks around the mendip hills.

I can’t find a bike that I prefer, and not many £1k CX bikes at all, so any pointers before I buy?

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Wait. New models out in 1-2-ish months.

How long does the voucher last?

…or one of these.

stox
    Free Member

I was in a similar position and bought a cannondale caad x 105 .. LBS knocked £100 off so got it for 1k, the Tigra model comes in at £999 (If you can get your hands on one at this time of year)

tinybits
    Free Member

good point ref the new models, however I’m an impatient bugger and nothing really changes does it? Might knock a bit off / get a few extra bits if i get a 2014. Any idea of changes going to be made Jamie? I saw you had one (comes up in searches) would you have that other bike you’ve linked instead?
    No local cannondale dealers stox, so that’s unfortunately a no.

white101

Evans told me voucher good for 6 months and that i should wait to mid end august for sale prices after the 2015 models are released around that time. I’m looking at cx as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

The TCX SLR 2 is a great bike, if that’s what you’re referring to, but there is no stock till the 2015 models drop.

However, the Arkose seems a more versatile bike for the needs you describe. As I think it has more mounts, bit less racy is actually in stock.

MoreCashThanDash

I have last years Arkrose 3. Hugely versatile and tough as old boots, now done 4000 miles, only changed the tyres as tbe originals wore out, still on original drivetrain and pads.

eskay

I love my crosslight 5T, got it on C2W.

white101

I’m looking at the arkose 3 as well, i was told the price would drop below its current £900 which is already down a £100.

iainc

Arkose 3 is a brill bike. I nearly went for one at end of last year, but ended up with a Croix De Fer. Arkose at 1k was excellent value, at £900 its a proper bargain.

tinybits
    Free Member

As it turns out, the shop I wanted to buy from had a Giant in M/L size in stock which is the right size, not the L I thought I wanted. As they couldn’t get any indication from Giant about 2015 models, I’ve bought it. Should pick up by the weekend. Looking forward to those evening rides now! Thanks for the input.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have a Arkose 3 myself and it’s all I seem to ride at the minute.
    Very capable bike ,great on the road and down the canals 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

Got it in the car! I’m going to have a very happy ride tomorrow morning. Lets see how it stacks up (or I stack) in the quarry tomorrow.
    😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Giant TCX 2 – anything else I should be looking at?’ is closed to new replies.