Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Giant SX-2 wheelset – tubeless?
  • dblspeed
    Free Member

Hi all, has anybody had any luck converting these wheels to tubeless with just valve and tape?

Are they supposed to be tubeless ready?

efcwils
    Free Member

Not sure if they are the exact same, but I have a 2015 Giant XTC with the SXC-2 wheelset. I went tubeless on the rear about 3 months ago and it’s been fine.
    For reference I…

Removed the rim strip, cleaned around the inside of the rim, taped it up using Stans (20mm I think), replaced the tube and tire (new Maxxis Ardent), pumped up to 40 psi and left overnight.
    Next day I removed the tube, leaving the tire seated on one side, chopped a valve out of an old tube, fit and refit it numerous times until I had enough PTFE around the stem to stop it leaking! Once happy that it wasn’t leaking I replaced the blue rim strip, filled with Stans, seated the tire using the tire lever and foot pump method, gave it a good shake and left over night.

Smiled in the morning when it was still up and took it for a test run 🙂

scc999

Yep – got them up tubeless with Gorilla tape, no problem.

Si

Mugboo

I’ve done a pair using Stan’s tape & sealant. It was a bugger but the problem was the Nobby Nics, they were really baggy. Once they’ve sealed they’ve been fine.

jonnyboi

Couple of years back I had a set of 26″ rims running tubeless, but they burped all the time so went back to tubes.

dblspeed
    Free Member

Hi all, not sure if SXC-2 and SX-2 are the same either, mine came stock on a Giant TCX SLR.

I first inflated the tyre (1.75 wire bead smart sam) with the tube, but it would not loudly pop into place\seat like it happens with my other wheels, either stans or dt swiss. Don’t know if this means something or it’s normal with this rim.

I used a layer of gorilla tape, didn’t have the proper stans tape in house, but no luck.

I’ll try again leaving the tubes in for longer and using more tape.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Giant SX-2 wheelset – tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.