Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Giant Shock vs Fox shock
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

My Giant air shock has started leaking oil a bit. I don't know how serious this is but it's still under waranty. Although the Giant shock has good reviews I'm thinking of upgrading it to a Fox shock if my LBS can maybe do some kind of trade in deal for me on the Giant shock.

Does anyone have experience of comparing Giant and Fox shocks and what would be a good shock to go for? Cheers.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Or can anyone recommend a good shock for my Trance X? I do mostly XC and light downhill. I would like something plush. Thanks.

z1ppy

You don't tend to hear anything bad about Fox shocks, RP23 is normally hailed as the king of air shocks (other than stuff like curnutt), 2nd hand ones go for around the ton mark on fleabay (RP2/RP3's maybe cheaper).
    Even a basic Fox R's could be upgraded with a 'push' service, or left standard if you bike doesn't require a pro-pedal setting .
    Fox Van R's coil shocks are well thought of as a decent cheaper coil shock upgrade, and coil shocks are generally thought of as plusher than air shocks.
    You'll need to know you current shocks i2i & stroke length.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Hi thanks for the info. Apparently the Trance X has a rare eye to eye length so I don't know how easy it'll be to find one.

z1ppy

Some odd sizes in the sale stuff on tf tuned, merlin & CRC – worth a nose

metalheart
    Free Member

You might have better luck trawling through the mtbr giant forum.

I did notice somewhere they were talking about shock lengths and it being awkward to upgrade.

Sorry but cant be arsed looking through to find the actual one though…

Edit: Actual I can: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=605785

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Give TSW Cycles a ring-I used to work there & know for a fact there's a brand new & unused RP23 on the workbench that's come off a Trance X 2010 model. Shouldn't be too expensive.
    Edit, they'll be someone around from 9am in the morning, tell Matt or Jerry that Dave told you to call.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks goldenwonder that's really helpful. I phoned them up today and they still have it and I said that you'd been in touch on here. They're going to check it over and get back to me with a price. I'm taking my leaky Giant shock to my LBS tomorrow so I'll need to wait and see if it gets fixed under warranty or not. I might be tempted to upgrade to the RP23 but I'll have to see. Do you think it would improve performance much?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It'll make a bit of difference, the Giant shocks are actually pretty good usually!
    The main benefit will be the adjustment you get & the pro pedal that the Giant shock doesn't have.
    I spoke to Matt about it yesterday, so hopefully he'll be in touch with you at some point today. Please don't shout at me if he doesn't-I don't work there any more, he's my replacement when I left after eight years! 😉

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks. Matt did get in touch about it. My Giant shock is getting sent away so I'll need to see what's up with it. I'm a bit skint at the moment so I'll probably hang on to the Giant shock if it's a cheap fix. Thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Giant Shock vs Fox shock’ is closed to new replies.