Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Giant Reign – which size ? Medium or Large ?
  • razorjack
    Free Member

Hi, i’m thinking about buying Reign in next few days. I’m 181cm and my leg is about 85cm.

i’m struggling now between ordering Medium or Large frame.
    Medium (with reach=445) is longer than any of my previous frames (last was Spec Enduro Evo Medium reach=430) so it’s ok.
    Large could be even more stable, however i was riding Mach5.7 once, with a TT=615) and was totally bad (too long) on steep descends (i couldn’t put my butt behind a saddle, but maybe it was because of strange STa=71). Reign Large has TT=620, so it’s longer, but STa=73 – so just a little steeper (saddle moved about 3cm forward).

What do you think? What sizes do you have ? Does a large one block you on a very steep descends ? (very slow, technical, not ones with just bombing down Smile )

I know it would be best to test bikes, but i don’t have such option (especially you need few hours on a gnarly tracks to test it correctly) and i need a bike for a next week enduro event.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would be on a large, consider your stem length as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 large

I’m a bit shorter than you, happy on a medium but wouldn’t want it any shorter reach.

As he said – stem length will bring the bar back toward you and you could always go for a 35mm stem if it feels too long.

rickon
    Free Member

Wow, I’d be surprised if you would want a large…. you’re 5’11. The medium’s a very long bike as it is. Longer than most large bikes, the ETT is looooong, and the reach is up there with Mondraker.

Unless you’re pinning straight downhill on wide tracks, I’d have thought you’d feel like a passenger on a large., and it’s be a PITA in tight turns.

640mm ETT, and 460mm reach.

A large Enduro is 611mm and 445mm. The XL is 641mm and 465mm.

So you’re effectively going up two sizes, not one – compared to Specialized Enduros (which have also become longer over the years).

The wheelbase is huge on the large too – identical to a Transition Smuggler 29er in XL – which from experience is a big bike.

Where are you gonna be riding?

Chapaking and other guy – which year Reign’s do you have?

Some insight here: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=175332&pagenum=1

chakaping
    Free Member

2015 here.

Sounds like the OP has at least an extra 20mm reach compared to me – and mine feels spot on. I’d be really intrigued to try a large myself TBH, I read on Pinkbike the other day that Yohan Barelli is the same size as me (5ft 8in) and rides a large.

I have been getting all Steve Jones about my bike sizing lately though – and I’ve got short legs. Hmmm.

rickon
    Free Member

Blimey, I’m surprised you’d be interested in a large at 5’8, but I guess everyone’s different – it’d be boring if we were 🙂

The OPs actually got longer legs than me (and it looks like long legs for height), but the same height, and I’d feel very stretched on a large.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ok rather than make a specific size recommendation it might be wiser for me to just tell the OP that I am 5ft 8in tall with a 30in inside leg and happy on a medium (but curious about a large).

My next bike will have a 462mm reach Rickon. Bit of an experiment TBH and not ridden it yet as waiting for a key part, but it feels great just sitting astride it.

rickon
    Free Member

My next bike will have a 462mm reach Rickon

Holy cow. I’m assuming you’re using a 35mm stem? You’re very much at the pointy end of pushing reach.

scaredypants

Evening,

I’d get a small

Oh, 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Holy cow. I’m assuming you’re using a 35mm stem?

40mm stem, came with frame secondhand.

I’m really looking forward to riding it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″/186cm but apparently have a shorter leg than you and i’m on a large with a 50mm stem. I wouldn’t want a smaller bike, and i’d quite happy be a bit shorter on it, but then run a 35mm stem.

I run a 150 dropper post and its still a good 4cm out of the frame.

A large Enduro is ok as a comparison, it’s distinctly ‘average’ in the reach department these days, the Reign is one of the longer bikes out there, but by no means a monster. It still manages to be a surprisingly playful and fun bike to ride.

Which, ironically is not what my old Enduro29 was. That was a true monster truck, despite being shorter in nigh on every measurement. Just goes to show numbers can’t dictate how something may feel.

RobHilton
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    Evening,

I’d get a small 😉

I actually would! :mrgreen:

I used to ride medium sized bikes; Stumpy/Slayer/Big Hit, but then switched to small for all kinds of riding – Banshee Rampant (frikkin tiny!), Whippet, Session 8.

Rob, 5’7.75″ (Would be screwed on a large)

goodgrief
    Free Member

My mate is 5’10-11″ ish, has a medium but wishes it was a large. His has an angleset fitted so sits at about 64 degrees. Vivid coil too, it’s a small dh bike basically.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am 6’2″ and have an XL and it is very loooong. 35mm stem makes it manageable. It reminds me of my old Pitch – long, slack, solid and lots of fun.

Surely getting a bike with the same top tube length as your current bike kind of defeats the object of buying a bike with this geometry?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have a medium. Coming from a large SC, the Giant is still longer (and longer than most large bikes), nice and low, and I didn’t want to go too radical. It rides brilliantly, I have no complaints at all.

rickon
    Free Member

Surely getting a bike with the same top tube length as your current bike kind of defeats the object of buying a bike with this geometry?

But he’s looking at the Medium – which is *significantly* longer in the ETT and Reach than his current bike, and also considering the large – which is a huge amount bigger.

tomaso
    Free Member

The 480mm reach on the XL Reign is the same as a large Pitch, so its nowhere near Mondraker’s forward geometry. Medium Pitch was 450mm which is longer than my old Enduro 29er.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Reign is 2deg Slacker!!!
    I’ve recently ridden both (a friend has a pitch) back to back and they feel very different.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes they feel different but in terms of fit for me its good.

If you make your Pitch slacker by two degrees, say by adding a 160mmm Lyrik and a couple of offset shock bushes you get to just below 66°, but the reach decreases by 20mm according to a popular bike geometry website. It was a wee bit short for me when I did this.

tomaso
    Free Member

A medium Reign is 6mm shorter in reach than a large Enduro 29er. Is the Reign long or the Enduro short? I kind of think both.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Get the large. Long bikes are fast bikes. I’d much rather be on something that is stable and confidence inspiring in a straight line, but needs a bit more man handling to tip it into a corner, than the other way around. They also tend to fatigue you less on long tracks.

rhid

I tried a Medium Reign yesterday and I thought it was great, I’m only 5″6. I would not want to go smaller. I do have long monkey arms though.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Large Reign 1 measures 625mm ETT and 460mm reach. The given ETT of 640mm is not correct.
    Medium measures 605mm, not 620mm as stated.

Giant’s geo specs are way out.

razorjack
    Free Member

i visited giant store today, seated on M and L (however they don’t have demo bikes at the moment :/ )
    When i sat, Large was ok, but it had quite short handlebar – i think it was about 760mm (it was an employee’s bike), so it behaved like a shorter bike.
    and then i though, considering a little longer CS=434mm and Reach=458mm, it would be hard to make a slow drop or even do a bunny hop. (with a CS short as 420 and steep STa i would surely go for a reach 450-460, but not in this case)

I’m 5’11” (181cm), my inseam leg is about 33-34” (85cm)

wrecker
    Free Member

Medium measures 605mm, not 620mm as stated.

Funny, mine is 620 bang on.

andymc06
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 with a 30inch inside leg. I have a medium coming from france as it appears similar to the 456 evo in length. Wrecker you are making me feel better about my choice. I am aiming for long and low with good standover. It arrives tomorrow so fingers crossed. Couldn’t resist buying blind for the bargain price 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

It’ll be fine andy. Either of us could have ridden both sizes, but the medium is still comparable to most large sizes in length.

dragon
    Free Member

Giant have you (OP) almost bang on between the Medium and Large, from experience this is a bad place to be, as the bikes are either too small or too large. I’d look at a different bike where you fit it properly.

razorjack
    Free Member

and another thing is
    Reign Large with wheelbase=1217mm would be longer than my current quite long DH rig (NS Bikes Fuzz, WhB=1216mm) !!!

tracks are sometimes quite narrow and winding here (Wales, Quantock Hills etc.), even some DH tracks are too twisted for my DH bike.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign – which size ? Medium or Large ?’ is closed to new replies.