Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giant Reign, Real World Feedback?
  • desmojen
    Free Member

Does anyone ride one of the 650b Reign models that can offer feedback? Currently ride an Orange 5 with a Fox 36 fork but looking to change it for something a bit more all roundy (read: something that doesn’t pedal like a walrus).

Any help gratefully appreciated,
    Jen.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t own one, but have ridden/tested one.

Pros;
    Plush, stable at speed and excellent value for money

Cons;
    Long. Really, really long. Straddles time zones. Makes it a little trickier in tight handling situations.

All rounder? Hmm. Not sure. It’s a great bike for plodding up climbs and ripping down the other side, but if you’re keen to rip up AND down, I’d say it’s not an all rounder.

batfastard

I don’t own one but have ridden one a couple of times and thought it was excellent. Plush, light for what it is and climbs pretty well and the I liked the long wheelbase too- it charges downhill. I don’t like cramped top tubes so the extra length of the Reign was welcome – a large is spot on for a 6′ rider. It is a very capable bike downhill so you might find less challenging trails feel a bit dumbed down, but for what it’s designed for its great.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have one.

If I excuse some annoying little frame design bits, and focus on the ride, it’s a bonkers fast bike, that somehow still manages to remain fun, and playful to ride.

It’s at the longer end of the scale, which I like, but you still stay relatively centred on the bike, so it doesn’t have any odd handling traits, like some other bikes.

It climbs well for a 160mm bike, I’m realistic/honest enough to say climbing on any 160mm isn’t exactly mind blowing, but it gets the job done, doesn’t bob a large amount etc.

It’s a big bike as an all rounder. That said, for me, it really is a true all rounder for my riding. Generally that involves; trail riding, enduro racing, DH racing, etc.

It’s light for its size & travel – does everything I want really. I’m usually quite critical of bikes I own & have owned, but have struggled to be with this one.

I have cracked on carbon frame, but in the interests of being open it was being abused daily in Whistler, including the bike park. It cracked in an odd place, I informed Giant and they replaced the frame immediately, all they wanted was a couple of pictures, no questions asked. The service was very good.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m not a Dh or Enduro rider. I ride up mountains as far as I can and enjoy hike a bike. I then ride down. My Reign is doing good for me in the Lakes. It’s getting up some big climbs quicker than my old Enduro 29er and definitely feels better going down.

It is not Xc fast anywhere, but it is more brisk than it feels or you think it is. It’s not got that whip when you stamp on the pedals like a good 130/140mm trail bike, but then I am running the stock heavy rims…

It is very loooong and slack but rides sweet. Needs some adjusting too to get weight on the front. I am enjoying how solid it feels, it doesn’t seem to get upset in rock gardens. And I am no worse on tight steep hairpins..

I suppose it depends where you live and What you ride. It’s perfect for the Lakes.

marko75
    Free Member

I have one – took it to the alps, bpw and my local at woburn…… its just fun and puts a smile on my face…. what more can you want from a bike!

desmojen
    Free Member

Thanks for the input fella’s, I appreciate you taking the time 🙂

Jen.

Goldigger
    Free Member

As I have an anthem and a fan of the maestro suspension..then built my 5 up last year, I’ve been wondering how the reign compares to the 5..
    Next Years Giant line up looks nice.
    Trance advanced

Reign advanced

Anthem advanced – I quite like this in yellow

desmojen
    Free Member

So I rode an Enduro Expert carbon yesterday. And it was awesome. I think I will try and test ride a Reign still, because the Specialized comes with X01, which is fine, but the new Reign has XT 1×11 which will be cheaper to run!

Jen.

desmojen
    Free Member

So I managed to find a 2015 bike at a great price, the Reign 1 in orange. Up to now I can’t fault it, it’s no harder to get up hills than my Five was; in fact it’s mostly easier. And it is a blast coming back down again, as well as having suspension and brakes at the same time. That one feels quite novel after riding the Five for so long!

Jen.

tomaso
    Free Member

Let’s see a picture of it all dirty?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign, Real World Feedback?’ is closed to new replies.