Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Giant Reign 2
  • hainman
    Free Member

I recently purchesed a Giant Reign 2 and my mate has been trying to sell me a chain device he bought that wont fit his bike,His bike is a 456 i think,anyhoo,will a chain device fit the Giant,i notice it has some bolt holes around the bottom of the seat tube,bottom bracket area,
    Is this where it would be attached andnis it a hard task or easy diy job,i get a fair bit of chain slap when on the gnarly dh stuff so this device thing might be an option,

cheers

Craig

jambon
    Free Member

The reign needs a Bottom Bracket mounted Chain Device not an ISCG (or whatever they’re called) one.

The big problem with the Reign is the uber low chain stays. I found that I couldn’t get a device to fit my ’05 reign – every time I went over a log/big rock I’d push the device into the stay.

Ended up making my own device attached to the stay out of spare suspension bearings.

I have a picture somewhere I think.

hainman
    Free Member

nice one jambon,cheers.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10137
    so would this work then??

jambon
    Free Member

I think that will only allow one big ring (I may be wrong)- the one I fashioned allowed 2 rings to be used.

That one is also really dangly – the one I made was only about an inch lower that the stay itself and kept itself out of the way.

If I have the pic I’ll get it to you.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers jambon,pics would be great,might have a go at making one myself.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Giant Reign 2

I can’t have had enough coffee, I thought that was the name of a computer game for about 5 seconds… 😳

honourablegeorge

jambon – Member

The reign needs a Bottom Bracket mounted Chain Device not an ISCG (or whatever they’re called) one.

Newer Reigns have ISCG

robhughes
    Free Member
    jambon
    Free Member

Hmmm, you’d have though that but aren’t they famously fragile? ❓

hainman
    Free Member

see i thought there was some screw points around the bb and it says on giant website the spec bit ISCG tabs,but not if its 05 or old??

@robhughes i like the look of them but bit pricey,

@unklehomered get yerself a double espresso and get with the program 🙄

robhughes
    Free Member

(@robhughes i like the look of them but bit pricey)….What..we could all be dead soon.Just spend the money for gods sake…. 😉

kayak23

I had a Blackspire c4 on my Reign.

Mine didn’t have iscg tabs so I used a BB mounted one no problem . If it does have tabs you just need a tabbed fitting one.

However, I only used a single front ring. Do you want to use a double front ring. and a front mech still? This will affect what you need.

If you want to still run a front mech you will need something like a Blackspire stinger.

hainman
    Free Member

hey kayak23 ye i want to still run the double up front ,will look at the stinger,just wonder how much of a job it would be diy wise…

@robhughes when you dont work every penny is a prisoner so i would rather not spend loads of money if i can get something cheaper and it does the same job, that will be my plan of action…

kayak23

Ok, then if you want to still run a front mech, then you need something like the stinger. Superstar do a similar one for cheaper but I’ve used both and the stinger has a better shaped roller with a softer compound.

They are very easy to set up really providing you use the correct amount of spacers etc. All you need to do is determine whether or not you have iscg-old or iscg 05 tabs, or if you don’t have chainguide tabs, to get a bottom-bracket mounted version.

Blackspire Stinger

Superstar version

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign 2’ is closed to new replies.