Viewing 8 posts - 161 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • Giant pull the pin on 26"…
  • scotroutes

I think the point is that 650B isn’t in the middle (despite the marketeers trying to suggest otherwise with the 27.5 moniker). It’s a very small change from 26″ that must, therefore, bring minor “improvements” whilst still requiring significant change in equipment specifications and compatibility.

roverpig

Despite the way this thread has gone, I’m not sure that Giant have said that they will kill the 29ers in their range. Just that they’d like to. Presumably they’d be much happier if they could just use one wheel size across their range and think (with enough of a marketing push) that it might be possible if they go for 650b. But, as I understand it, the 29er Anthem and Trance will still be available in 2014. So, presumably, they’ll look at what people are buying and see whether they have managed to put enough people off the 29ers to be able to drop them. People like Sanny probably don’t help though 🙂

asterix
    Free Member

“enough marketing push … to use one wheel size” – now that’s ironic

edit – not getting at you roverpig – as you say it is a slow day

chakaping
    Free Member

I think jameso has the most-convincing response here.

Spesh are going big on 29ers, Trek are making Fuels and Remedys in all three wheel sizes (for now) and Giant have seen which way the wind is blowing and said “**** that, we’re betting it all on 27.5”.

It’ll probably end up tipping the balance too.

(I’m still sticking with 26″ though)

roverpig

“enough marketing push … to use one wheel size” – now that’s ironic

edit: No worries mate 🙂

Yes, I can’t say I have much sympathy for them. it’s a problem pretty much entirely of their own making. But I can’t see how supporting multiple wheel sizes makes good business sense in the long term and I bet there are a few marketing folk wishing that they’d never opened this can of worms in the first place.

Sanny
    Free Member

LOL at Roverpig! 😀

I suppose I could say that the Trance X 29 is now old technology, a poor execution of a design, rubbish for technical riding etc but the reality is that it’s none of those things. It’s a bloody good bike that if I’m honest has taken a helluva beating from me but is still going strong. I suspect that I’m not a typical rider given my penchant for carrying up big hills just to ride back down them but that probably says more about me than the bike! If anyone is unsure what to buy, try both and then decide though if you are expecting a wagon wheel bike that struggles in technical terrain, you may well be very pleasantly surprised. I genuinely wonder if consumers realise how good a bike the Trance 29 is? 😆

toons
    Free Member

I genuinely wonder if consumers realise how good a bike the Trance 29 is?

I’ve just switched to a 29er and wonder the same thing about the spesh stumpy fsr evo.

How many times have you gone for the 5 spot over the Trance 29er? Not many i bet

roverpig

Just out of interest Sanny, would you say that you generally like to move the bike around at every opportunity, just for the hell of it, or do you prefer to plough through things (if you see what I mean). I tend to find that on those big days out (not that I do enough of them and not as big as some of yours) I’m wanting the bike to be stable, efficient and just to disappear so that I can enjoy the environment. So, the more stuff it can plough through without any input from me the better.

Viewing 8 posts - 161 through 168 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Giant pull the pin on 26"…’ is closed to new replies.