Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • Giant pull the pin on 26"…
  • hora
    Free Member

Five values plummet? Err… Fives arent cheap in ——–>

bigrich

2009 anthem 0, snapped in April, stripped it down, took the frame to the dealer. He got an Anthem advanced 0 frame, fox floats rlc and american classic wheels back.

to say he was delighted is a tiny bit of an understatement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that is a good deal, if I hear Santa Cruz are doing that in 2018 I might have a serious go at hammering it 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bit worried Ive got a Giant Anthem X1, which is only just small enough for me. With bigger wheels would be too big!

rickon
    Free Member

Maybe there’s another take on it….

The turner 5-Spot is seen as one of the best trail/AM bikes ever built, Turner replaced it with the Burner. The reviews of the Burner aren’t as favourable as the Spot.

Does this mean an excellent condition Spot frame will be worth more, now that it’s (soon to be) not possible to buy?

Turner still make the parts, and they’re transferable between Sultan/Burner (apart from the Stays etc – but, they’re unlikely to fail given the iteration).

pussywillow
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    core – Member
    Why do people get peeved that their bike is discontinued? It won’t make any difference to it,

Resale value is definitely a factor… A used Five lost about half its value the day they announced it was “obsolete”, partly because new stock went straight in the sales and partly because fickle mountain bikers don’t want the old model, even if yesterday it was the new model. If you bought a Five the day before they announced the 650b Five, you took a knee square in the assets.

Why does that matter? Well, for most people with a decent bike, the value of that forms a part of the budget for their new bike. If my last bike had taken a big hit on value, I’d not have been able to buy my current bike.

The other thing is just parts transferability- the wheels and forks in my hardtail have been in at least 4 different frames, but if I buy a new frame tomorrow I’ll need to replace both (and again, the old parts are already worth less). So again it hits you in the wallet. And ironically, will probably mean I buy less bikes/bike parts for the forseeable future.

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Amen brother, not a truer word spoke on this forum, me and you speak a lot of sense! 8)

londonerinoz
    Free Member

walleater, I’m not sure your premise is correct although TBH I haven’t double checked.

IIRC from that article the new 27.5 frames have just as long a wheelbase. I would agree in that I found the Anthem 29er too long, but the Trance 29er is quite a bit shorter, and I suspect this was why so many prefered the ride of the Trance 29er.

I rode mine yesterday and I’m still just as happy with it. In fact I’m thinking these 3 measures Giant have come up with to market 27.5 are a load of BS, especially in claiming 29ers only have one advantage, when that factor results in a number of benefits.

mt
    Free Member

” And ironically, will probably mean I buy less bikes/bike parts for the forseeable future.”

Spot on with that. I shall now wait and see what the score is on wheel size before I make another purchase of frame or bike.

hora
    Free Member

” And ironically, will probably mean I buy less bikes/bike parts for the forseeable future.”

The only thing I change alot is frames (secondhand). Everything else is on a worn-out basis. So new marketing/magazines pushing for sales/adverts/jumping on bandwagon’s doesn’t affect or bother me.

Dual control brakes passed me by and I’m not an early adaptor on most products. I tend to wear things out before change. So if people want to drive bike product sales – all the power to them.

Bred2shred
    Free Member

I’m going to go ride my bike. You lot can bicker over a few inches till the cows come home, as has already been said nothing will disappear overnight so why worry about it. My frame is currently 2 years old and baring a catastrophic crash or failure it will be getting ridden for many years to come. Life’s to short to get caught up corporate pied piperism.

rOcKeTdOg

I tend to wear things out before change

Who has stolen Hora’s account?

ratherbeintobago

Spot on with that. I shall now wait and see what the score is on wheel size before I make another purchase of frame or bike.

+1. If 650B is an industry scheme to make us all ‘upgrade’ its going to fail in the short term. A lot of people are saying they’re going to hold off until it becomes clear which way the wind’s blowing.

asterix
    Free Member

The “future” will be 650b for a while and back to 26″ saying cap in hand “we were wrong” and we all have to buy new tyres again.

probably this – and the bike industry shouldn’t be unhappy – they will have succeeded in using wheel sizes to generate extra sales for a few years

NormalMan

^ You mean those ‘all new’ lighter, stronger more agile 26″ wheels.

I’ve already got some, yes I’m that ahead of the game 😉

duir
    Free Member

It warms my heart to see such resistance to the utterly pointless and entirely forced on us con job that is 650b.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just keep hold of your old 26er .or 29er…..when the sales are of 650b are catastrophic …….Gaint may re-think their strategy …..you as a consumer control the market ..not them ……..other bikes are available …

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes me to it would amuse me no end if every just did not buy a bike till they knew which size won

It is most definitely not consumer led

scandal42
    Free Member

Sorry, what’s all this about? A wheel size debate?

I’ve been too busy enjoying riding my bike to realise, are the new ones rounder?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I was in a Giant retailer a couple of weeks ago getting new bearings for my MkI trance and had a sit on the 29er version. The salesguy explained that 650b was like big tyres on a 26″ and that 29er was the way to go but they’d sold out of my size. So thank you, I have mahoosive tyres already and like them for rocky rides. I was thinking of a buying 29er but I’ll save the money for something else now…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member

are the new ones rounder?

YES, according to the french, the ones that mavic supplied to TeamGB at the olympics…

chestrockwell

Northwind – Member

core – Member

Why do people get peeved that their bike is discontinued? It won’t make any difference to it,

Resale value is definitely a factor… A used Five lost about half its value the day they announced it was “obsolete”, partly because new stock went straight in the sales and partly because fickle mountain bikers don’t want the old model, even if yesterday it was the new model. If you bought a Five the day before they announced the 650b Five, you took a knee square in the assets.

That’s not actually true though, is it. I keep a close eye on the second hand prices of the 5 as I might be changing mine and if anything the price of 26″ 5’s has gone up.

I’ve watched used 2012/13 5’s go for only a couple of hundred quid less then you can get a new one for in the sales. Madness.

chestrockwell

With all the fuss about 27.5 not being 27.5 why didn’t they just make them 27.5 in the first place? 😕

kimbers

its all too confusing

i was planning to upgrade my frame but for what I want new frames only seem to be 650b

but that means new forks, wheels, tyres, none of which are available s/h or on sale in 650b flavour

so instead im now contemplating buying a complete bike

which is bollox because id much rather build up to my own spec

so the bike industry gets a lot more money out of me than i wouldve spent if there was no new fangled wheel sizes

RustySpanner

Er, just buy a nice s/h frame to match your current wheels.

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

That’s not actually true though, is it. I keep a close eye on the second hand prices of the 5 as I might be changing mine and if anything the price of 26″ 5’s has gone up.

I saw well used frames selling for very nearly what you can buy a new frame for now. That’s not happening any more.

ahwiles
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

its all too confusing

i was planning to upgrade my frame but for what I want new frames only seem to be 650b

but that means new forks, wheels, tyres, none of which are available s/h or on sale in 650b flavour

650b frames are a bit like 44mm headtubes; your old wheels/forks will fit, i bet you won’t even notice the ‘wrongness’.

it’ll feel different, but mostly because it’ll be a new frame.

chestrockwell

Northwind – Member

chestrockwell – Member

I saw well used frames selling for very nearly what you can buy a new frame for now. That’s not happening any more.

Were they for sale or were they sold?

From what I’ve seen the frame prices have stayed around the same, between £550 to £850 for a 2009+ depending on condition. Seen some go for £1000+ but they tend to be nearly new and mint. One sold on ebay for £1000 yesterday. How ‘very nearly’ do you mean?

Full bike wise 2009+ were going for £1200 to £1800. They are starting at £1500 now with some people thinking they can get £2000+ for a 2011 when you can have a brand new Pro for £2300 🙄

Northwind

That was sold, for sale means nowt.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

More importantly, what are handlebar manufacturers going to do?

– Risers for 26″

– Flats for 29ers

Are we going to get a new ‘standard’ for handlebars for 650b?

Trimix
    Free Member

Never mind handlebars, we can all look forward to new “standards” for stems / headsets/ cranks / BB etc etc.

Marketing departments must be paying overtime to come up with more bollox to jump on this band wagon.

ratherbeintobago

we can all look forward to new “standards” for stems / headsets/ cranks / BB etc etc.

Giant have form for this, of course.

swavis

Giant knows a thing or two about inventing solutions

for problems that aren’t there? 😉

rhayter

However much we moan about bike companies trying to screw money out of us, nothing’s going to change while we live in a capitalist society. Bike companies are commercial organisations who make money (and therefore keep trading, employing people, paying dividends to shareholders etc) by selling bikes and frames at the maximum profit that they can achieve per item. That’s their sole imperative. And the bigger the company, the more driven they are to keep selling bikes and frames. “Market feedback” = “what’s selling”, pure and simple (it’s why Santa Cruz got into 650b for the Bronson and Solo – and they’re happy to admit it). I would imagine that Giant have seen their slice of the 29er market contract (there could be loads of reasons for this: 18.2″ chainstays may be one of them) and they’ve probably worked out that full suspension is still out-selling hard tails. Possibly, they’ve also worked out that the cheapest way to keep selling new bikes at the maximum profit is by re-tooling for 650b (which need only be *very slightly* different than 26″) rather than re-develop the Maestro platform across all their bikes (I’m guessing here, in all honesty).

I’m not trying to be condescending, but there’s really only one reason that any bike company would jump on the 650b bandwagon; they think they can make a profit by doing so. And if that company the size of Giant (see what I did there?) with all their resources and experience (and half an eye on all the other bikes they build for other brands) they’re probably right.

asterix
    Free Member

there’s more to being a giant than size 😉

ratherbeintobago

they’ve probably worked out that full suspension is still out-selling hard tails.

I’d be surprised if this is correct without seeing the figures, as I’d expect the majority of ‘mountain bikes’ sold to be in the sub £600 price range.

chestrockwell

Northwind – Member
    That was sold, for sale means nowt.

I know and that’s why I asked the question.

Anyone at any time paying nearly list for a well used 5 frame has been seen coming a mile off. A tiny bit of research would show they over paid. If you know these people please tell them to PM me as I have a 2009 frame they can have for a bargain £1100. 😉

andypaul99
    Free Member

check this out for some marketing / science / spiel, there is also the 27.5 giant range shown too

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/showcase/anthem-27-5/#customtechpage

zokes
    Free Member

well, all this does is confirm that I won’t be buying a new bike any time soon

Dickyboy

well, all this does is confirm that I won’t be buying a new bike any time soon

yup me too, either gonna ride all my 26″ wheeled bikes into the ground or over to retrobike 🙂

andypaul99
    Free Member

…and both of my current Giant 29ers are now, in Giants eyes at least, Sh1t..
    well that was 3k well spent.. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Giant pull the pin on 26"…’ is closed to new replies.