• This topic has 37 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alric.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Giant poisonous anaconda attacks mtb rider. Fierce battle for survival ensues…
  • epicyclo

There I was, just pootling along on a climb up the back of Ben Wyvis when I saw a twig in the road.

Barely had time to think it’s taken me 12 years from leaving Oz to stop thinking every branch or twig is a snake, when it turned out to be just that, and sunning itself on the warm road.

Stroppy wee bugger it was too. Kept trying to have a go at me, but I was worried it would get squashed by a car, plus there was a buzzard in the vicinity, so I picked it up and put it in the bushes.

I’ve handled friendlier death adders. 🙂

BTW what is it? It looks like an adder to me, but I don’t know British snakes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Adder, baby.

You were lucky to survive that encounter, could’ve ripped your arms off.

scotroutes

Melanistic Adder I reckon. It’s certainly very dark.

Stoner
    Free Member

FYI we only have three snakes in the UK. Grass, Adder and Trouser.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Melanistic Adder I reckon. It’s certainly very dark.

OP did say it was sunning itself. 🙄

takisawa2

Stoner overlooking the ubiquitous Projectus Managerus in his British snake run down there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stoner for the win 🙂

epicyclo

takisawa2 – Member
    Stoner overlooking the ubiquitous Projectus Managerus in his British snake run down there.

I’d leave one of those to get squashed by a car or taken by the buzzard, I’ve heard they’re very poisonous. 🙂

garage-dweller

I’m not surprised it was cross.
    You pedalled up to it, stood over it taking its photo then picked it up 😯 and chucked it in a bush thus ruining it’s sun bathing.

😛

Rorschach
    Free Member

Baby Robin-snake.

yunki
    Free Member

EDIT: I should read the whole thread thoroughly before mentioning baby robins 😳

Stevet1
    Free Member

Beautiful adder you lucky bugger, really want to see one of those in the wild. Seen plenty of sand lizards up here in the North west but no snakes.
    p.s. I’m sure you know but Anacondas aren’t poisonous…

nickc

that is a small snake. Or a really massive chainset…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Similar lies about size are told about the legendary trouser snake magnificous

cranberry
    Free Member

Looks just like a little adder I almost stood on in Scugdale a few years back – I had always been told there were snakes in NYM, but had never seen any traces of one.

It was fascinating to see one in the wild, until I took a look at the shoulder high bracken I had to walk through and thought that it takes a mummy snake and a daddy snake to make a baby snake – I pushed the bike out in front of me rationalising that it was easier to fix a snakebite in a tyre than a leg.

MSP

MTB rider? on the road… some exaggerating going on here.

NewRetroTom

If you know epicyclo you’ll know he normally rides weird bikes, so I’m assuming that chain has a 4″ pitch and the snake is in fact normal sized.

Yak

Lots here (southern heathlands). Very beautiful, but they do tend to lie right in the middle of trail so you have to be careful not to run them over.

This is what I would like to find:

Smooth Snake

matt_outandabout

I have been bitten by an adder.
    Pulling dinghies up in to long grass at Galloway Sailing Centre – felt a sharp ‘sting’ on my Achilles. A few minutes later took my wetboot off to find a bright red, bleeding pair of tiny puncture holes.
    Cue phone calls to local doc – who assured me that seeing as I hadn’t dropped dead yet, I would survive. I felt like absolute sh*te for the evening – flu like and really painful bite.
    By morning, back to normal.

I have pic of the puncture wound somewhere, I will try and dig it out and scan it tonight.

He looks a keen little bugger – shame his sunbathing was ruined…

ninfan
    Free Member

Damn nature, U scary!

crazy-legs

Saw one in Yorkshire in summer. Out for a ride on the CX bikes with waterrat off here and passed what I thought was a stick, did a double take and there was a lovely little adder. It was only small but quite aggressive. Apparently young adders are worse than adults – adults will only bite as a last resort and even then rarely deliver much if any venom but young ones don’t have that control and will bite and give you the full blast.

This one just hissed for a bit, long enough for Emma to capture it on Instagram and then we left it alone to continue its sunbathing.

dovebiker

Encountered them frequently on the SW Coast Path usually after our humphing great basset hound has trampled over them as they bask, lying across the path – fortunately it was usually early in the day / a bit cool so they weren’t fully warmed-up. Rarely see them on my local trails, but also encounter common lizards and slowworms in the really sandy areas. Best was a 3ft-long grass snake that was snaking down the trail in front of my front wheel – it could really move!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Why do I always click on these snake threads! got the heebie jeebies now.

sands
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Giant poisonous anaconda…

tuskaloosa – Member
    …got the heebie jeebies now.

Yes, that really is stuck in the forks

#findoutwhoyourrealmatesare

dannyh
    Free Member

Yeah, point of order – if you include ‘trouser’ the UK has four – missed off the Smooth Snake.

Mind you, what about Beer Snake?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I just managed to avoid this one the other day.

epicyclo

MSP – Member
    MTB rider? on the road… some exaggerating going on here.

I was being eco-friendly, not driving my car. I was heading out for a ride – it’s 11 miles to get to the start, and about 18 at the other end to get home.

It was worth it.

nickc – Member

Definitely an enormous chainset. Would I dare exaggerate to STW? 🙂

On a more serious note. I’ve never handled such a small snake before so it’s difficult to know how firmly to hold it. Any herpetologists got any tips in case I run into another wee one?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve never handled such a small snake before so it’s difficult to know how firmly to hold it. Any herpetologists got any tips in case I run into another wee one?

Only for the trouser variety 😥

Pyro

As far as I’m aware, there aren’t any poisonous snakes in the UK.

There’s one venomous one, but I’m not sure you’d die if you ate an adder…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The adders around here are q small. But the grass snake in my garden is really surprisingly large.

dannyh
    Free Member

Pyro – Member
    As far as I’m aware, there aren’t any poisonous snakes in the UK.

There’s one venomous one, but I’m not sure you’d die if you ate an adder…

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST SHARE

chewkw
    Free Member

sands – Member
    Yes, that really is stuck in the forks

That looks a bit like home to me in the rubber plantation. (tree not fully grown or tapped)

Consider the snake lucky otherwise it would go straight into the pot, that is a local python by the looks of things.

I used to ride in the rubber plantation when I was back home.

Stoner
    Free Member

The adders around here are q small. But the grass snake in my garden is really surprisingly large.

And as for my Trouser snake, it’s positively pythonic!

chickenman

[/url]DSCN0200 by rick.campbell, on Flickr[/img]
    On the Loch Callater landytrack last spring.

Drac

And as for my Trouser snake, it’s positively pythonic!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

No adders (yet) but I did see a couple of vipers…

Sandwich

Looks just like a little adder

Is that for sums up to 1000?

alric
    Free Member

I was pushing my bike in the forest one day, when I heard a hiss from the rear tyre and thought “oh no, puncture”, when I looked there it was an adder

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Giant poisonous anaconda attacks mtb rider. Fierce battle for survival ensues…’ is closed to new replies.