Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Giant P-XC2 wheels. Easy tubeless conversion.
  • dallas95
    Free Member

Did mine this afternoon and all it took was stans valves and sealant. The rims are taped already and as long as you use a co2 inflator it’s a 5 minute job.

Just thought I’d post for anyone else using these wheels in case they were thinking of going tubeless. Mine are the 26″ but I guess the 29″ are the same.

gasyz
    Free Member

Did my 29er p-xc 2 wheels using gaffer tape and DT swiss valves.Tried it first using stans style valves from superstar but they wouldn’t seal and kept pulling through the valve hole.

hheimann
    Free Member

Faffed around for one week and finally made it. Wanted to seal it with track pump only, but you need a large track pump (worked with Leyzine dirt floor, couldn´t seal with JoeBlow). It was hit and miss with Stans rim strips and Presta valves, ghetto was easier to seal. Drill inner valve opening in the rim up to 11mm. Outer hole needs to be enlarged so Schrader valve fits through (they have different diameters, depending on an additional rubber coat on some of them – Schwalbe tubes are best and can be screwed tight). Remove rim tape, one layer of Gorilla tape to cover spoke holes, BMX tube cut ghetto style. Now the important bit is that the thickening around the valve fits into the rim valve hole. If it is protruding too much, it is extremely difficult for the tire to seal at this place and you keep on pumping an losing air at the valve. Soapy water all around and then fairy liquid around the tyre bead. If you are a tubeless newbie like me, it is helpful to pump up a small volume tyre first too be sure that your setup works, otherwise you be wondering is the tyre or the rim at fault or are you plain stupid. I use an old Panaracer fire mud 1.80, it seals in seconds and gives you that “wow” feeling. The rest depends on the proper tyre – I had good experience with wired new ones, some of my old folding ones no chance. Conti Mountainking 2.2 was pretty easy to inflate. Conti Mountainking 2.4 took a while to get seated. Nobby Nick 2.2 folding were also relatively easy. Panaracer Rampage and Kenda SB8 not successful. You have to press the centre of the tire down and bull the beads sideways to force them towards the rim lips, quite a bit of fairy liquid helps a lot. When pumping, keep your thumb pressing on the centre of the tyre at the valve. Once seated deflate after one minute, two scoops of Stans, re-inflate straight away, shake tyre, ride around the block, absolutely fine ever since. Probably a lot easier with inflator/compressor, but once started down the wrong track had to finish it that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Giant P-XC2 wheels. Easy tubeless conversion.’ is closed to new replies.