Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Giant Overdrive stems ?
  • iainc

Having a fettle with new Anthem SX, the stem has a shim inside it to fit the fork steerer (Fox 32 CTD 120). Hard to see what benefits this will actually bring ?

benji
    Free Member

It was supposed to offer even more front end stiffness and weight saving, in essence another standard that no one else adopted and is now being dropped.

renton
    Free Member

The overdrive system was based on a slightly wider top part of the steerer and was meant to be a stiffer design.

My trance stem came the like yours has with a shim. I think that it’s slightly more flexy this way.

iainc

Hmmm, I guess I could pop a normal stem on then, as steerer is standard diameter. Will see how it is, doubt I’ll notice !

renton
    Free Member

Has yours got the giant dropper post. ??

If so how are you finding it.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Isn’t it the overdrive 2 system that’s dropped for this year? I thought Overdrive was now just Giants marketing hype for a tapered head tube. Only asking as I’m about to get a 2015 giant and don’t want another non standard part!

iainc

Renton, yes, but not tried it out yet other than up and down the road at home. Seems to work fine but not a patch on Reverb on other bike.

iainc

Eat more cheese – mine is the standard 2015 Anthem SX, collected on Sat and was ordered in for me. It has overdrive2 and thats whats online on the Giant site here

renton
    Free Member

It’s just overdrive now. Overdrive 2 was on 2014 models.

iainc

Ah, I thought from the website that overdrive 2 was a newer version

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yep so definitely reverted back to the Overdrive from OD2 of 2014, which begs the question, why didn’t they supply a stem that didn’t need a shim? Are they trying to get rid of the 2014 stock of stems? I don’t get it!?!

iainc

Weird indeed ! Thankfully the stem is a perfect size for me, so will live with it for now.

renton
    Free Member

I’m guessing that’s correct eat more cheese.

It’s a bit of a pain but no biggy if you are changing the stem anyway.

eshershore
    Free Member

OD2 still featured on Giant’s road bikes

but dropped on mountain bikes for 2015 onwards

on the road bikes, it definitely makes a difference in feel to the overall frame as you’ve got a 1.5″ fork steerer and oversized head tube with OD2 stem

Canyon use the same 1.5″ on some of their bikes, which is not surprising as Giant make their carbon fibre frames.

If you ride the Propel Advanced (1.125″) and Propel Advanced Pro (OD2 1.5″) bikes back to back, you notice this straight away when really cranking it hard or dropping into corners.

Also allows them to build a lighter weight frame and fork

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Giant Overdrive stems ?’ is closed to new replies.