Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giant NRS (XTC Mammoth actually) bearings/bushes…
  • clubber
    Free Member

I recently bought a Giant NRS (2001 XTC Mammoth) frame – turns out the bearings/bushings are pretty shot. I'm not too chuffed that the seller didn't mention it but there you go – I guess that I should have asked explicitly what state they were in…

Having read up I'm also concerned that the aluminium of the stays themselves may have worn meaning that replacement bushes may not solve the problem.

I've been checking out replacements (BETD's website seems to be down at the moment though) and it's kind of hard to work out what is and isn't compatible. I've found a bearing kit at Pedal On (here) which seems right but my model isn't actually mentioned and I know that the other 2001 models listed (Team, Big Bear, Mt Snow) weren't identical since at the minimum the rocker was different (allowed for different travel settings).

Does anyone know if it'll fit or can anyone suggest alternatives or just generally share their experiences with these. TIA

wwaswas

I'd go with the BETD kit with the upgrade from rear bushings to bearings – it makes a real difference.

Phone BETD and they'll sort you out with the correct ones for your year..

clubber
    Free Member

Any idea how much they cost?

wwaswas

this site seems to be workign;

betd nrs bearings.

but looks like £55 for a full kit. ouch.

toys19
    Free Member

Clubber YGM

clubber
    Free Member

Oh and forgot to say that the bolts for the main pivot (by the BB) have also been rounded out so they can't easily be undone. Nice…

zedhead
    Free Member

Interesting thread as I have an NRS-1…

StuE
    Free Member

I used kit from here http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id239.html looks as though they only do later models.

toys19
    Free Member

there is another potential solution here: stud n bearing fit I have used this successfully on a motorcycle engine before.
    Or you could try this :chemical metal which has also got me out of a hole before..

zedhead
    Free Member

Hmm, I was thinking of getting the bearing kit as, although the bearing on my NRS seem fine, I do wonder how long the kits will be available… so was going to get some to have in stock, and maybe do them over next winter. Problem is, I don't know the year of manufactre of my NRS-1… bum.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

there is another potential solution here: stud n bearing fit I have used this successfully on a motorcycle engine before.

I had the same problem on my old Sugar3+, the bushing had come loose in the swingarm and had slightly worn it, a good dab of bearing fix cured any movement.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giant NRS (XTC Mammoth actually) bearings/bushes…’ is closed to new replies.