Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Giant NRS to sag or not to sag
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

trying to setup the rear on my new/old nrs. only been off road on it once when i had it set to no sag as recommended i found it to harsh. is it ok to run it with sag does anybody know and is it best to set this with static body weight or when pedaling? cheers all.

takisawa2

Been a few years since I had one but pretty sure I ran mine with sag. Problem was the RS shock that had hardly any rebounding damping.

votchy
    Free Member

Used to run mine with 2 or 3mm of sag, checked statically, doesn't cause bobbing but allows the suspension to be a bit more active especially over small bumps, the design will never be plush but it is nice when run with a little sag

RoterStern
    Free Member

No there should be no sag. I found with mine that if I rode it with sag it became horribly squidgy and pedal bobbed all the time. I seem to remember that the negative spring should be set at 50psi for all rider weights.

Ticklinjock

I used to set up the shock to 6mm sag as the manual indicates (IIRC). Now I ignore the sag setting and set it so it feels like I want it to be on that particular day.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting to hear – as I understand, the low 'horst' pivot means that there's a very definite tendency for the suspension to extend when pedalling, meaning that any sag will tend to make the bike bounce when pedalling (since it'll constantly be extending then sagging again) though I have heard of people running with sag though maybe they run a lot of damping/propedal to stop it?

oldgit
    Free Member

I thought they were meant to be no sag? I found mine kicked like a horny donkey if it had any sag. That was a race set up though wasn't it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They are designed for zero sag, it even says so on some frames.
    But try it so it's just on the turn of sagging & they ride really nicely.
    Only put 50psi in the negative air though if it's a dual air shock, regardless of rider weight.

gruffalosoldier
    Free Member

I had an NRS2 which was one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

I bought a set of rockers from a machine shop in the states to extend rear travel to 4" and stuck a pair of Fox Talas forks on the front. Then spent a happy few years rattling round the Lakes on it. Only took it out of commission because I put a big dent in the down tube next to the bottom bracket shell.

I used to run it with a couple of millimetres sag to take the edge off the ride.

Happy days ….. 🙂

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

thanks all, i only get to have a proper ride once a week so on sunday ill try it with a couple of mm sag, set when stationary standing on pedals.
    i did find a pdf manual on the net for a different year NRS and that had the no sag setting detailed which was far to harsh and made the back end feel really weird. or set up with 30mm sag which seems really to much?!
    its just anoying only being able to properly test setups once a week.

wwaswas

run just a couple of mm of sag.

take a shock pump with you so you can tune it while you;re out and find what suits you.

I ride mine as a summer bike and find that with zero sag it's a bit too like a hardtail. with just a little sag it doesn't bob but it does actually ride liek a suspension bike.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

30mm is way too much sag on an NRS, you only want a couple of mm, just so you can see the rocker arms starting to move. I'd take a shock pump out with you & play, but remember to leave the -'ve air at 50psi if it's a dual air shock.

timber

on a different direction, a mate of mine swapped out his giant air can for a basic fox coil, ran lovely, no sag set as they aren't designed to run with any, but the coil just got moving easier for him

Edukator
    Free Member

Experiment. I ended up with much more than 50 negative and maybe 25% sag. Bob is no worse than a single pivot(considerably better than most) whilst grip and comfort benefit greatly.

Dancake
    Free Member

I ended up fitting an RP2 and setting it up for sag. Found there was a "sweet spot" where bob would be minimal even on the "open" setting

Regarding the "zero sag" setup with the NRS shock, I never really got there…

Got used to flicking the lever for climbs; worked well imo

thekingofsweden

You don't say wich rear shock you have ?
    I would agree with edukator as that's how i ran mine but with the Team rock shock the damping is so sweet
    My mate had the in house shock and it was rubbish we swapped shocks on one ride ,
    I had to beat him to get it back when he got his back he sold the frame as it was so bad using the in house shock

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

sorry its a rock shox ario so its not a dual air, only positive and rebound.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Giant NRS to sag or not to sag’ is closed to new replies.