Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Giant MPH 3 Brakes / Pad Spacing
  • dmiller
    Free Member

Hey,

My mate has a set of Giant MPH 3’s and is having some problems. As I have only worked on my avids I dont know how to help!

He has replaced the pads but now cant get the rotor back in as there is not space between the new pads. The old pads were down to the metal but the system worked fine. Pad space adjuster is fully out at the lever end.

On the avids I would push the pistons back in and that would solve it – but he has tried that with no luck…

I have googled but cant find much…

Any suggestions?

(he would post himself but he is not so good with the interwebs!).

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Open the bleed screw on the lever and attach the bleed syringe as if he was going to bleed them, then push the pistons back. I have got away without the syringe in the past, just loosened the bleed screw and mopped up the excess fluid that was pushed out.

If that doesn’t work, Then I suppose sandpaper the pads down to clear the rotor before bedding them in.

dmiller
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply!

My worry with doing that was that when the brakes were set up there must have been the right amount of fluid in them?

Or does pad thickness vary that much?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pad thickness does vary, fibrax being expecialy thick IME.

just let a little fluid out and all will be fine (hopefully).

shouldnt be anything to go wrong in them, being a closed system they wont even need bleeding very often, and the only thing to go “wrong” is you will eventualy cook them and blow the seals.

dmiller
    Free Member

Thanks for the help! My mate was able to set his brakes up last night – you were right, a bit less fluid and its all sorted!

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Giant MPH 3 Brakes / Pad Spacing’ is closed to new replies.