Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giant internal cable replacement – that was a faff !
  • iainc

Swopping the Giant Dropper from left to right side as have a dodgy left thumb. I made a silly error and left the outer about 3 inches into short such that a big barspin wraparound would cause problems.

No bother, I have spare inners and outers, should be a doddle…

An hour later its all sorted, with a new internal outer 😀

Final solution was new outer gaffer taped to old one, crucially with an inner through both to keep stiff and combined push and pull from the downtube opening. Tried from seat tube first but couldn’t get it round the bb bend and was pulling as hard as I dared. Going from down tube and pulling up with fair force got it past the bend !

Press fit bb, for which I have no tools, removal of which would have made it very simple 😳

iainc

Hmmm, looks a clever bit of kit but I doubt it would have helped. If I had the BB tools for a Shimano pressfit it would have been a 10 min job. I will no doubt get them in due course when BB needs replacing.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I must admit, I fitted my dropper to my Trance before installing the BB and it was easy! Not that that helps you…

iainc

Yeah, must work out what I need for BB removal !

Superficial
    Free Member

If there’s already a cable through the frame (as in your case) then all you need is a thin bit of plastic tube, wide enough to go over a gear inner. Remove the outer, keeping the inner in place, thread the small tube over the inner, remove and replace the inner with a fresh one, then remove the plsstic tube, and slide a new outer over the inner. All new cable, minimum fuss. The trouble comes when you take everything out and you no longer have a guide.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a dropper with stealth routing to my trance.

The bottom bracket cup knocks out easy enough. I only removed the none driveside cup too.

I do however need to sort the routing out at the headtube as the cable comes out on the same side as the lever is mounted and it looks crap. The rear brake hose does the same so it’s just a case of swapping them over in the holes. Just hope the brake hose is long enough ……

iainc

Renton – mine came with the lever on the left and the cable coming out the right, and round front of headtube. I have now swopped lever to right and shortened outer a bit. There are 2 cables/hoses out each side, so can’t change much.

renton
    Free Member

Ive got my fork lockout on the left. I was going to fit the dropper lever on the left as well but have left it on the right for now. may shorten the cable a fraction but will see how it goes.

Any side to side play in your post?

iainc

I got mine quite tidy even though out same side, using those reverb style hose clips and connecting it to the front mech outer, which comes out same hole. Play wise there is about 2mm rotational play at front of saddle, about same as my reverb on other bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giant internal cable replacement – that was a faff !’ is closed to new replies.