Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Giant Full Suss Options Trance v Anthem
  • luthersboots
    Free Member

Morning everyone. Have been looking at a new bike and thinking of pulling the trigger on a new full Susser.
    I have seen some great reviews on the Trance x4 and I can get one for £1000 now in the 2011 sales.
    Theres also the Anthem x5 which has a rrp of just over £100 more for what seems a crazy £899 and seems to be a slightly better spec. Air fork etc

Is this a no brainer?

I ride XC and enjoy the fitness element of cycling as much as the downhill and want a smoother more advanced ride that my current entry level hard tail.

LB

Trance x4

FRAME
    Sizes S (16″), M (18″), L (20″), XL (22″)
    Colors White / Red
    Frame AluxX SL aluminum, Fluid Formed TM, 5.0″/127mm Maestro Suspension
    Fork RockShox Tora TK coil, 120mm travel
    Shock Giant Maestro Air shock
    COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect TR riser
    Stem Giant Connect
    Seatpost Giant Connect
    Saddle Giant Cross Trail D2
    Pedals Alloy Platform
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Alivio 27 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shadow
    Brakes Shimano M445 hydraulic discs, 180/160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano M445
    Cassette Shimano HG30 11-34
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset Shimano M542 22/32/42
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Integrated Press Fit

Anthem x5
    FRAME
    Sizes S (16″), M (18″), L (20″), XL (21″)
    Colors White / Red / Black
    Frame AluxX SL aluminum, Fluid Formed TM 4.0″/100mm Maestro Suspension
    Fork RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air, tapered steerer, 100mm travel
    Shock RockShox Monarch R
    COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect low riser
    Stem Giant Connect
    Seatpost Giant Connect
    Saddle Giant Cross Trail D2
    Pedals Not Included
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Alivio 27 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shadow
    Brakes Shimano M445 hydraulic discs, 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano M445
    Cassette Shimano HG50 11-34
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset Shimano M542 22/32/42
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Integrated Press Fit

retro83
    Free Member

depends what you want from the bike, the Trance has more travel. They’re both good frames, well worth upgrading the components on.

scaredypants

I’ve had a trance and a trance-x. both have been great. anthems always get really good reviews too.

I guess the trance’ll be a bit heavier and a bit more stable on faster downhills and anthem’ll pedal a bit faster but I bet both are ace

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cakefacesmallblock

I have no experience of the Anthem, other than that I was passed by a few at Mountain Mayhem.
    I have had a 4″ trance for 3 years now and am perfectly happy with it albeit upgrading the whole time.I ride local forest, all day epics and trail centre ( mayhem was my first and only race experience)and I’m not about to change much more soon. I reckon the X would make a REALLY good bike for this stuff.
    I’m certain that the Anthem will ride “lighter” and climb quicker, but to be honest I went Trance as I was getting back to mtb and felt it may just be a bit more relaxed and composed in pilot error situations !
    Either way, they both “score” well in tests etc. If I could choose again now at the same sort of price point, I’d still go the same way, as I cant help but feel the Anthem should be a really fast bike and I’d want the lightest build possible. I think Trance x = fast armchair, Anthem = very fast naughty stool. Dunno , but that’s my thoughts.

luthersboots
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the Anthem suits my riding style.
    I was hoping to snap one up for 900ish in 12mths interest free.
    It seems pedalon only offer finance on non sale bikes. Anyone know who offers finance accross the board?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I was torn between the Trance and the Anthem I went down the Trance route. I have a 2010 X2 and I don’t regret it one bit. Climbs well and descends tremendously.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got an Anthem X2 in the sales recently. Climbs better than any bike I’ve ever owned, its super fast and encourages you to go quicker every where. Used to ride a 130 travel FS and the anthem is equally as good on 95% of stuff, only at very high speed on very bumpy stuff do you notice the shorter travel.

Not ridden a trance so can’t compare sorry.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Luthersboots just read your post. I bought mine from Pedalon. You can do buy now, pay 12 months time on the sale bikes which is what I have done.

Deposit to Pedalon then remaining balance to Hitachi Finance. When gumph comes through from Hitachi just set up a standing order to pay off the balance every month. Basically its 0% finance for 12 months. If you go over the 12 months though you will be charged loads. At that point if you still have a balance you can transfer it to a credit card.

Wally

I have had a Reign then Trance then Anthem.
    You can spot the jey-boy trend. All fun.Anthem most fun.

transapp
    Free Member

Traded my trek 6700 hard tail for an Anthem X1, utterly brilliant. The only place the hard tail is better is on stand up sprinting and road hills. Amazingly capable, even on the downs although I’ve for a rockshox revelation 100-130 fork which I run soft to give me ultra supple, 90-120 travel. When I wind it down, it’ll climb a wall.
    Sadly, it’s in storage for 3 months till the shoulder heals, then I’ll fund out how well it copes with winter mud

luthersboots
    Free Member

Cool. I really think the anthem is the beast I am after. Thanks for the tip on the buy now pay later funky. Will deffo give the missus a few glasses of wine tonight and bring it up as a topic of conversation!
    Got a good set of Fulcrum red metals off here a month ago so swap them over sell the old hardtail brute and I’ll be a happy chappy methinks.
    Thanks everyone.
    D.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Swopped out Trek EX8 for Anthem x2 6/7 months ago, not sure i’d done the right thing at first, changed tyres and put shorter stem on, also bigger front disc…love it now, it’s sooo fast, unlike me, 🙄

Potter
    Free Member

Got an anthem x2 and I adore it,it climbs like a rocket and is a cracking purchase,it just begs to be ridden faster,I rode mine in Scotland at inners glentress kirroughtree and it was fine,as mentioned just shorten the stem and it will transform the handling
    Amazing bike

luthersboots
    Free Member

Cool. Sounds great. Anthem it is.
    Thanks again for your tips.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Giant Full Suss Options Trance v Anthem’ is closed to new replies.