Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant Defy Mudguards
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Has anybody tried these? I’m hoping to put them on my Trek 1.2, they look like they should fit. Or maybe there’s something better out there?

mike_p
    Free Member

I have them (on a Defy), they’ll fit keep you dry no probs, the question is can you stand the rattling?!?

shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t know, how bad are they? 🙂

richardthird

Yes they rattle. Me and some mates have had them on Defy & Rapid with 25mm tyres. OK except the thin steel bridges can rust out. Still miles better than those flexi universal blade things though. Go black, the silver paint wears through from the underside.

shermer75
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the first hand info! Whereabouts do they rattle? For some reason I thought that they’d be better than most as they use the type of fitting you get on SKS chromoplastics etc

avdave2

Has anyone found a mudguard that works well on the Defy Advanced, good has not been too helpful so far. It does seem a little odd that Giant should move to disks which are obviously attractive for use in wet weather and not add mounts for guards.

mike_p
    Free Member

The main problem is the clearance above the rear wheel backwards from the brake calliper, the guard flexes just enough to bang on the tyre itself and there doesn’t appear to be any way of addressing it. Doesn’t cause any drag as such. The front on mine tends to rattle on rough surfaces. I hate the f-ing things but they’re a necessary evil

MoreCashThanDash

Mine just rattle on most surfaces. My mates know they’ve dropped me when it goes quiet…..

TiRed

Running SKS Raceblade Long on my Defy Sl today. Now discontinued, I’ve been a fan since they launched them (they don’t touch the frame). Going to need them this evening.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmmm. Rattling definitely doesn’t appeal. Does anyone know any other good solutions for a Trek 1.2?

TedC

Agree with the above comments – they rattle (way more than SKS and Tortecs I’ve had on other bikes), and the rear tyre wears through the silver finish in no time at all.

tomhughes46

As above, mine did rattle like hell. This culminated in the bracket on the rear snapping, most likely though fatigue. This made for an extra rattly ride home!

Managed to get it replaced on warranty, but bike is currently on the turbo and haven’t ridden it outside to see if it’s just as rattly.

I bought them as I believe the Defy clearances are tight around the brakes an few others fit. I’d search and see if raceblades or similar fit your frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, been looking at Raceblades after TiRed’s recommendation. Unfortunately the Longs are no longer available- they look like they would have been ideal! The XLs are still around though

shermer75
    Free Member

According to this the Race Blade Longs will be available again from Jan 2016

RustyMac

I have the defy mudguards fitted on my bike, well just about to be re-fitted.

They worked really well last year run with 23c specialized all weather armadillo tyres. Once I got them set up right for the most part they were rattle free. Only the roughest crappyest sections of road led to them rattling a little.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Giant Speedshield Universal for the Advanced models.

TiRed

Fitted the Giant mudguards to my winter Defy. To be honest they rattle more than any properly stayed mudguard should. I’ll swap back to the raceblade longs and keep the Tortecs (which never rattle) on the fixed wheel. They fit well but I had to flare out the metal brake bridging to accommodate 25c Schwalbe Ones (which are oversized). Look good though.

Baznav
    Free Member

They giant ones will not fit your fork, raceblade longs fit fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Mudguards’ is closed to new replies.