• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant Defy Composite vs Specialized Roubaix
  • geoffj

Which will be a more relaxed geometry?
    Ta

TiRed

Specialized. Defy is a comfortable race bike, with more emphasis on race.Depending on reach, either can probably be set up to fit an agressive or relaxed position, but the Specialized has the longer head tube.

geoffj

Thanks Tired. There is a good deal on a Defy which would be rude to pass up, but I do like the idea of a more relaxed riding position – decisions!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Well they are both more relaxed geometry than the out and out race bikes but really you should at least sit on each of them as you can hardly make a sound purchasing decision on such a random basis.

geoffj

you can hardly make a sound purchasing decision on such a random basis.

What random basis is that then?

I’ve been fitted for size on the Roubaix and I can sling my leg over the Defy, but I thought I’d ask in advance of visiting the shop.

Thanks for your help though.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Borrowed a Roubaix for a while off a friend to see what it was like.
    Really nice and comfy as has been said. Tried a Defy and purchased.
    Had it nearly 2 years now and I love, definitely more “racey”, agile and eager is probably a better description.

mboy
    Free Member

The Roubaix really has a very tall headtube size for size, and is ultimately as close to a touring position as lightweight road bikes come really. Which suits some people of course.

The Defy is more relaxed than an out and out race bike, but not as relaxed as the Roubaix for sure. It’s reasonably easy to get a much racier position on a Defy just by dropping all the headset spacers, whereas on a Roubaix you’d need a -30 degree stem!

It’s all about what suits the individual though…

iainc

I demo’d them both and bought the Defy – it is slightly more ‘racy’ but extremely comfortable , even on long rides. It was also better kit for the money at the time

hora
    Free Member

I tried a few bikes- felt bone-shaken and odd on some. Tried a Defy composite and felt so centred and comfy that I wanted to jump a kerb.

However the kit on it was shit- utterly crap for the £1300 price tag. The Spesh has similar low-rent kit?

So I’m still looking. 1k I’d put up with low end kit but not 1300+

timbur
    Free Member

hora – end of year sale so the same bike will be 20% off now, if they have your size left.

Stevo210
    Free Member

The Defy is more relaxed than an out and out race bike, but not as relaxed as the Roubaix for sure. It’s reasonably easy to get a much racier position on a Defy just by dropping all the headset spacers, whereas on a Roubaix you’d need a -30 degree stem!

Just dropped my stem by around 20mm last month and its livened it up no end, much more responsive and in my head Im faster 🙂 I originally tried a TCR and I thought it was a bit too aggressive riding position, it had a short steerer and the stem was slammed. Whereas the Defy had plenty of space to move the stem down when I was ready to have a go and wish I’d done it sooner.

Defy Defy Defy.

scud
    Free Member

Never tried a Roubaix, but I have the Defy Composite and love it, i’ve done a number of century rides on it and with 25c tyres and upgraded bar tape with gel pads have found it v.comfortable.

TiRed

£1050 OK? Partridge cycles have a Tiagra Composite 3 in M/L (item 1369). OK, it’s not 105, but we have two 10spd Tiagra bikes and the shifting is excellent.

geoffj

£1050 OK? Partridge cycles have a Tiagra Composite 3 in M/L (item 1369). OK, it’s not 105, but we have two 10spd Tiagra bikes and the shifting is excellent.

I’ve seen one cheaper than that (sub £900) in my size for a 2012 model

just need to convince myself I *need* it!

hora
    Free Member

hora – end of year sale so the same bike will be 20% off now, if they have your size left.

Would love to find some.

On Partridge it says no internet sales of sales bike- collect only.

Stevo210
    Free Member

I got mine from All Terrain Cycles, West Yorkshire. They usually do some crazy offers between Xmas day and New Year, it was on everything! Mine had 20% the latest model 🙂

Xmas is a bit to wait though.

birky
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p4918/GIANT-DEFY-3-COMPOSITE-3-2013

I’ve had mine for 2 months, really happy with it.

TiRed

Now that is a bargain! Thinking of a spare for winter duties… As one of the most sought after road bikes, they won’t last long at that price.

hora
    Free Member

WOW

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Composite vs Specialized Roubaix’ is closed to new replies.