Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Giant Defy carbon owners – happy with your bike?
  • RustySpanner

Another Cycle To Work Scheme alternative I’m looking at.

Which one did you go for?
    Do you like it?
    Any issues with the spec?
    How tall are you and what size did you go for?

The new base model (linky)
    comes in at just over a grand, but is stocked by my favourite bike shop and I reckon I could get it for a little less.

Spec isn’t anywhere near the equivalent Ribble for the same price, but I think I’d prefer to buy from people I really trust.

Have looked at the PX, daughter has one and is delighted with it, but the small only comes with one bottle mount, which puts me right off.
    I believe Boardman are bringing out a carbon bike for £1000, which is the other alternative, but I fancy something a bit more relaxed.

Many thanks in advance.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Ive got a defy composite 1. Great bike..full ultegra. Im 6’2″ and ride a large. had a synapse before and the defy is better ib my eyes..

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I read something about a Boardman sportive bike in the works?

Details of new range coming in next couple of weeks anyway, the bloke at Halfords reckons.

geoffj

I’ve just bought the 2012 model from Pauls – http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p4494/GIANT-DEFY-COMPOSITE-3-2012

I’m 5’10 and a bit with short legs long body. The sizing seems good to me. The only difference in spec to the latest version appears to be the Tiagra chain set.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Hey I looked at the DEFY but went for the TRC (could get a better deal on one). One of the nicest bikes I’ve owned. A lot of people said to go for a good carbon frame over a cheeper with better components. As Giant make pretty much every carbon frame out there you would assume they’d put this knowledge to good effect into their own products.

If your weighing up what composite option to go for try and up to the Advanced frame it offers internal routing and giants speed cadence sensors (components are easier to upgrade later).

Sizings the same I’m just over 6ft, ride a 57 CX bike and Large (19inch) XC race bike so went for the large Giant, if in doubt go for a test ride.

iainc

I also have a Defy Composite 1 (2012) – great bike, well built, super spec for the money, very comfy

IanW
    Free Member

Test rode loads of bikes last year, the Defy was by some margin the comfiest. It was a M/L which is a 56 I think and the usual size for me at 180cm.

Preferred the TCR which was also comfortable but I felt a bit more “in” rather than “on” the bike.

Having said all that In the end I went for neither and bought something that else altogether.

RustySpanner

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfthQTqj24[/video]

birky
    Free Member

Got a 2013 Composite 3 on C2W. 5’9″ riding a medium

mudshark
    Free Member

2013 Defy Advanced 0 here, very impressed.

TiRed

2013 Defy Advanced SL2 (ultegra). Bought with our generous cycle to work scheme. I’m 179 cm and bought a Medium with a 115 mm stem. I agonized over the size but took out a demo medium and raced it and we clicked. My height is between M and M/L. I went smaller and long stem. It does feel better. (Measure lots cut the ISP once!)

It is a truly wonderful bike that has no faults. Scored 10/10 in Cycling Weekly, Bike of the Year in C+ etc… I’ve raced it competitively (27 mph average), rode that Ride London in four and a half hours been out on club runs and commuted to work, just because it is nice to ride.

Lower spec models all have the same geometry. Composite is heavier than Advanced is heavier than SL. But the total weight difference for the frame isn’t even a full water bottle. Buy any with confidence. Components to suit budget. We also have Tiagra groupset equipped bikes and I am perfectly happy with those too – raced one last Saturday and if anything the shift is lighter and faster than 6700 ultegra (it’s the external cables). Your selection is spot on. It was £1299 this year when I was looking for son1.

And forget the “relaxed” nonsense, it’a a race bike with a slightly longer head tube and half a degree slacker head angle.

EDIT : Boardman geometry is the same as the TCR. No prizes for guessing what his “sportive” geometry might be 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

For a grand, I’m struggling to see how a carbon bike makes sense. My Defy 0 (alu) is significantly lighter than the carbon version at the same price, with much nicer ergonomics / shifters etc and a really nice Alu frame. I don’t really buy into the whole carbon thing. If at some point that changes, I’ll buy a carbon frameset and swap stuff across. Worth a look, anyway – I’d take Ultegra over Sora/Tiagra any day.

TiRed

Have you actually ridden anything with Tiagra? I’d take a carbon frame from Giant (not just any carbon maker) and Tiagra over alloy and Ultegra. Tiagra shifts as well as 6600 and lighter than 6700.

And I also have an alloy tcr. With Ultegra (6600) as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy carbon owners – happy with your bike?’ is closed to new replies.