Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Giant Defy Alu 1 vs Composite 3 ?
  • yoshimi

Just curious…

Looking at both – Alu has 105 and can be had for £699 or the Composite 3 model with Tiagra at £799

First road bike so input appreciated thanks

steve_b77
    Free Member

Both very good, carbon may be comfier.

My mate has an alloy defy and he rates if highly, but he’s looking at a carbon one, just cos he fancies it.

oldgit
    Free Member

The alloy is very compliant anyway due to the design. The composite is a hefty beast, so I’d not bother. Giants ‘proper’ carbon range is the Advanced and they are with it.
    The alloy also takes the special full mudguard.
    Great bikes, good choice.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a similar decision last year – the alloy TCR SL with Ultegra versus a carbon TCR with 105/Tiagra (I think). I wanted the better groupset so went for the alloy. Its a fantastic bike!

As Oldgit suggests, the basic carbon version probably won’t offer much benefit over the alloy version. It might dull road ‘noise’ a little better but I’d probably only go for carbon if it offered a good weight saving over the alloy (or other good alloy frames). And I think Tiagra looks a bit naff too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oldgit has it right there. Unless you want to be able to tell your friends you’re riding crabon fribe.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d go for the alu over the cheap carbon. Lovely ride.

yoshimi

Great responses, thanks guys.

The Alu seems one hell of a bike for the price and I didn’t know that the composite didn’t have guard braze-ons – I was planing on getting those Defy specific mudguards at the same time so good to know.

I was leaning toward the Alu version and that decision has now been confirmed 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Alu 1 vs Composite 3 ?’ is closed to new replies.