• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Giant defy advanced upgrading to sram etap help please?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

This is my bike:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-2-2016

I’ve been told today that shimano 105 or ultegra gearing will not work properly if I only upgrade the levers and derailleurs to sram etap!! I have to upgrade the crank cassette and chain to also sram.

If this is true I would like some help on choosing the correct chain set please. Currently I’m using 105 50/34 and would like to keep it 50/34 but using sram.

Ide like a link to the correct chainset and cassette if possible please? Much appreciated. Thank you.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Not sure what sram etap is? I run force cranks, rival mechs and shifters and an ultegra casette and chain with no problems.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why do you want to upgrade a perfectly good groupset on such a new bike ?

LeeW

If you do change you’re chainset you will probably need a new bottom bracket too.

beej

Assuming you run 11 speed Shimano, I can’t see any reason why you can’t use the eTap shifters and mech with different chainrings, cassette and chain. Max cassette size is 28 for the eTap though.

I use Red 22 on one bike with non-SRAM chainset and rings (Rotor + Praxis Works). No issues.

eTap is great, it’s on my best bike – I am using the Red crankset that came on it originally so I’ve no direct experience of eTap + non-SRAM crankset. I upgraded a perfectly good groupset on a year old bike because a) I wanted to, b) I could and c) the Red 22 bits went to the second best bike.

Quick Edit – this thread says it’s fine too: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13043271

chalky46
    Free Member

Stevemuzzy

chalky46
    Free Member

FunkyDunc

Because the one I have now ain’t the best and I was going to upgrade to ultegra chainset until someone at wiggle told me it wouldn’t run with sram etap. But now I know different it’s fine.

chalky46
    Free Member

BeeJ

Thank you mate.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely would have been cheaper to buy the bike with Di2 ?

aP
    Free Member

When it finally arrives I’m going to be using SRAM etap HRD with a Sugino chainset. My expectation is that it will work, I have no reason to believe that it won’t. All 11 speed cassettes have the same spacing now – herself is running Chorus EPS with an Ultegra cassette – it works perfectly, especially as the cassette is less than half the price of a Chorus one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Giant defy advanced upgrading to sram etap help please?’ is closed to new replies.