Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Giant defy advanced pro 1 or another option?
  • donkeydave

Hi I have a giant defy 2014 aluxx sl with rim brakes and 105 groupset running campag zondas.

The upgrade bug has hit and I have been looking at the above bike,I have had a bike fit and its the comfiest I have been on a bike in along time, and that is the reason I have been looking at another defy.

Any thoughts?

Just buy it?
    Power meter and new groupset for my old defy?

Ben_H

I build pretty much all my bikes, which focuses the mind a lot on the relative value of parts – and, indeed, a complete factory build.

I generally look lovingly at new bikes, get close to buying one, then confirm to myself that the change isn’t the much given the cost. It’s often a lot cheaper to shift parts around (and harder work).

The opposite argument is of the “what the hell, treat yourself” variety. A new bike will ride with a cohesiveness that’s difficult to achieve from the DIY route, at least until a few weeks of fettling have been done IME.

If the moving parts are worn, I’d upgrade those first and – later – the frame. Otherwise, I’d do it the other way around.

davosaurusrex

I have a defy advanced with Shimano hydros. Previously had an alloy Cube with 105 rim brakes. IMO carbon frames and hydros are both very worthwhile upgrades, frame more than the brakes as the damped quality really is noticeable. As for the brakes I like being able to stop consistently but if you don’t like bombing down hills or riding in the wet much then not that beneficial.

Only reasons I have to upgrade now are for frameset with thru axles and Di2, which will have to wait a few years. A first world hardship indeed.

If you can afford it I say go for it

TiRed

I have a 2013 Defy SL and also built up an alloy Defy 5 with old ultegra, ksyrium wheels and carbon fork. Whilst the former cost about eight times the latter, sad to say that the cheap Defy was a very satisfying bike that’s only about a water bottle heavier.

If you want discs, upgrade. The geometry is unchanged. But don’t kid yourself that it will a huge difference from what is already a very satisfying bike.

You might also like to consider a TCR, not a huge difference between the two, in all honesty.

Or a Propel. I rode 100 miles on mine today, and it didn’t feel so different to my defy (position is the same)

donkeydave

Thanks for the replies,

The bike will only be a summer bike so the discs are not that important and I am not sure if I am being marketed into a carbon bike and discs to be honest.

TIRed have looked at tcr but was worried I would not get same riding geometry etc as the defy and I still want the comfort that my bike gives me.

Propel had not even entered my thoughts!

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat: I have a perfectly serviceable (read: I like riding it) Kuota Kharma Race, but I keep on being distracted by the Giant range. I do, eventually, want to upgrade to Di2 and discs, which is where the justification will come from (my Kuota won’t take either upgrades), but those types of bikes cost in excess of £3500, which I really can’t justify at the moment.

TiRed

Take one for a spin. Surprisingly comfortable, and faster than the Defy.

Defy has pretty racey geometry and I race mine.

donkeydave

Hi all thanks for the replies my boiler at home has packed up so the new bike idea has had to be put off for the time being, still fancy a carbon bike but keep telling myself train the body first!.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just buy it?
    Power meter and new groupset for my old defy?

I think this, but wheels instead of groupset – 105 is no worse than Ultegra. I know its not the sexy option, but the new bike honeymoon will be over pretty quickly and the reality is the new bike will have very minor benefits over the old one. You’ll get far greater performance gains by using a powermeter for training and pacing and the wheels will deliver far better gains than a new frame.

I had a carbon Defy – great bike but the ‘upgrade’ bug bit me and the bike was one size too large. I got a Propel. Love the bike, but benefit of hindsight I should have got better wheels for the bike and a powermeter.

donkeydave

I am starting to come round to this way of thinking, its just carbon is so tempting 😳
    If i go the upgrade route I can do little by little and can hide it away from missus 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think some tasty new wheels will change your mind – they’ll transform how your alloy bike feels and rides, so much more than carbon frame will. I had a C’dale Caad8 before my carbon Defy and noticed very little other than the aesthetics, and as the advice on here largely goes, a good top end alloy bike (defy, Caad etc.) are better these days than a low end carbon one. I believe this and think you need to go high end carbon to notice a difference/improvement. But carbon does look very nice.

Also once you’ve got some nice carbon wheels in the bag you can transfer them to a new bike.

submarined
    Free Member

I was looking at the boggo carbon Defy 3, do a fair bit less. To cut a long story short I’ve ended up with an Endurace, and I love it. Rides really well, super comfy, even for my inflexible lump, feels a lot faster than my 13 Defy 4, much better VFM than even a Defy.

Tbh though I don’t have a wide suss of experience with road bikes, but it suits me well! Looks pretty, too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Giant defy advanced pro 1 or another option?’ is closed to new replies.