Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Giant Defy 1 2012 wheel upgrade
    Free Member

I ride on club runs as well as ride in some sportive s and would like to upgrade the wheels and have been looking at Shimano RS30, Fulcrum Racing 5 and Fulcrum Quattro wheels. The Quattro are aero rims and would I notice any gain from them or stay with a more normal height rim.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Unless they’re ****, stick with what you have.

dobo
    Free Member

what do you have? how heavy etc, some of thoose may not be much of an upgrade.

but value wise planet x model b are good value for the weight

mboy
    Free Member

None of the models you mention will provide a significant improvement over what you have already. Aero wheels really only make a difference for those fast enough to benefit from the Aero advantage. If your average speed (not cruising speed on the flat) on a run is less than 20mph, then you’re still going to be better off with lighter, lower profile wheels.

Also, the wheels you mention, there’s quite a price gap there. You can find RS30’s for about £130 online, but the Quattro’s are twice that price.

If you can afford it, a set of RS80 C24’s at £330ish online would make a good case for themselves as a significant upgrade, or maybe just the 6700 Ultegra wheels at £240ish. The Fulcrum Quattro’s look cool, but they’re heavier than their quoted weights by quite a bit according to reviews of them, and they present no real aero advantage to the average rider.

Free Member

Stock wheels are about 2200g. I know lighter wheels made my Anthem feel a lot better to ride and I am new to road bikes and nearly every review said the Defy 1s are better when fitted with better wheels. Tax man sent me a cheque so was going to put it towards some wheels.

Free Member

I am thinking of putting set of Fulcrum Racing 3 on my Defy but was wondering how much it might change the ride quaility you get transmited into the frame.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy 1 2012 wheel upgrade’ is closed to new replies.