Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Giant Defy?
  • rhid

Does anyone have a giant Defy? If so can they confirm what the fork is made from please?

I am interested in one and have been talking to a seller on ebay. I asked him what the forks were made from and he said alu, however all the giant literature say its “advanced grade composite”. What is that? To me its a series of words!! If it helps the bike is a Defy 3.

scaredypants

“advanced grade composite”

is “carbon”

is it much cheaper than this one ?

rOcKeTdOg

Lowest end ones have Alu fork

rhid

THe Defy 3 is the middle of the range, but if the man says its Alu then i suppose I will take his word. The copy and pasted spec list from the Giant website said it was composite, hence the confusion!

That is a good proce for that Defy, however I need a small.

leftyboy
    Free Member

What year is it as the carbon forks may have been fitted in the current year but maybe not if it’s 2 years old?

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 Defy 1 – it has a carbon fork.

I think the Defy 2 also has the same, but below that they have an alu fork.
    Might be wrong though…

rhid

It is a 2013, I found the bike archive on the giant website and again it says its the Advanced Grade composite material so I don’t know!

The seller says the bike is stock and the pics show the frame and fork matching! Its no big deal I would just prefer a “Carbon (or whatever the heck the composite is) fork as opposed to a Alu one.

rhid

I think I will just call up one of the Giant stores and ask them, they will know right….

monkeychild
    Free Member

I just sold a small Defy 3 (it was a bargain) and it had a carbon fork. They are ace bikes.

jules.b
    Free Member

Ask him to send you a picture of the fork…you should be able to see the welds where the blades join the steerer tube if it is Alloy, and the blades are noticeable skinnier in section fore/aft where they join the steerer. It’s a great frame by the way!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think I will just call up one of the Giant stores and ask them, they will know right….

Well, I’m sure they’ll confidently give you an answer. whether it is correct is something else!

rhid

Monkeychild –
    What year and how much did it sell for if you don’t mind me asking?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve got the defy 4 one from the bottom, they have a carbon fork but alloy steerer.

rhid

I figured it would be carbon fork, alloy steerer too. Its worth more consideration then. There are 2 on ebay currently, a 2011 one and a 2013 one. I will see how things pan out. how much do they generally go for 2nd hand? They are not That expensive new (approx £700) so i would assume they would be selling at the 300 mark??

TiRed

T700 Toray Carbon fibre bonded to an aluminium alloy steerer.
    Personally, I’m not convinced Ebay is the place to buy Giant Defy’s, just because they are so (rightly) popular. You are more limited looking for a small, however.

They are not That expensive new (approx £700) so i would assume they would be selling at the 300 mark?

Not on Ebay. I’d expect £400-£450.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

My large, 2013 Defy 2 in immaculate condition (which i have for sale) has a carbon fork….. 😉

rhid

Thanks for the info,

In the meantime I have found a Cube Peleton on Pauls Cycles for 500 new and looking at the Planet X RT-58 Alloy for 600 new with Full Tiagra. Makes the 400-450 for the defy look less appealing.

I will continue to look and see whats about, if anyone has a smallish roadbike for sale then please do get in touch!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mine was a rather good condition 2010 model. I had got rid of the awful FSA crank and tektro brakes and flexy Giant wheels 😀 I sold it for £300.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy?’ is closed to new replies.