Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Giant Contend brakes
  • ratherbeintobago

What do we know about these? They are apparently made by Tektro and come on some of the lower end Giant road bikes

mattbee

Got a set to try as they were only £120 for both brakes, cables to master cylinder & spare hydraulic fittings.
    Work well, nice light lever action & good power levels.
    Lose a bit of real estate on bars for lights etc & have to use a Giant stem.
    Get a lot of lever travel before they bite though, using SRAM Apex levers. Have tried bleeding but no difference. They stop just fine & plenty of modulation but I prefer my brakes to bite earlier in their lever travel.
    May try them
    With the Shimano 105 levers on my wife’s bike to see if they bite any sooner.
    Happy enough though, definitely better than the Juin Tech they replaced. Will be a good stand in until I go full hydro.

ratherbeintobago

What pass do they take?

mattbee

I just picked up some direct from Giant at the same time, they weee cheap enough.

RichBowman

Got them on my Contend SL1 – as you say, quite a bit of lever pull before they bite (105 levers here). Otherwise quite like them – decent power and modulation is pretty good. Bar space is at a premium though as it’s a bit of a nest of cables along the bars.

At some point (I.e when they need bleeding, or some involved maintenance) I’ll look to replace them with 505s or something of the ilk. But certainly decent enough in the meantime.

Not sure what pads they use…

Cheers,

Rich

mtbfix

Got them on my Revolt. Plenty of braking power whilst still having a nice cable STI. As they came with the bike they have extra doohickeys to mount your Garmin and light forward of the face plate come master cylinder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Giant Contend brakes’ is closed to new replies.