• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giant contact SL dropper bushings
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Said dropper has been faultless for the last two years. It now has some forward and back movement. I can hear it knocking whist unseated if the post is extended.

Has anyone found a drawing or video showing what is in there? I assume it is a bushing that has worn and needs replacing. My googling is not bringing up anything other than replacing the gas spring/cleaning and changing from stealth to external.

Thanks in advance.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ohhhh… just dug out the receipt. Bought 22/7/15. Supposedly two years warranty on these.

What do you reckon my chances are on Monday 19/7/17 of getting it sorted?

vongassit
    Free Member

IME its not a worn bushing but unfortunatley a combination of wear on the inner of the outer body & the outer of the inner shaft. I don’t believe it can be fixed when its worn & its quite easy to strip it right down to its component parts to inspect.

Essentialy the outer part has a rectangular shaped guide along the inner length of the body & the post has a slightly smaller rectangular protrusion along the outer length of the shaft. This unfortunatley wears & opens up all to easily with use, so a combination of wear on both the body & shaft is the issue.

If the post had hexagonal/octagonal guides instead of rectangular ones ,it would have more surfaces to resist wear, possibly?

My warranty replaced one is almost borked after a couple of months.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks vong. That is not good news. I suppose I will take it to them on Monday and see what they say.
    I had already been looking at replacements before you posted. If they replace it under warranty, which i doubt, I will be happy. Still at least I know once its gone its gone.

Rio

This post reminded me that I needed to strip and lube my 3 year old one. The fore and back play in mine is controlled by a couple of plastic shims at the bottom of the shaft which look as though they’re intended to be sacrificial but spares seem to be unavailable, so potentially good design spoiled by lack of support. Anyway that’s irrelevant now as after putting it back together the gas strut has now failed, another thing that should be cheap and easy to obtain but isn’t. On the plus side it still locks so at least I can still ride the bike. Good luck with the warranty!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Hi Rio, I found a link to a South African site where they had found a replacement gas strut for 450 rand (thirty quid). I will see if I can find it for you.

Rio

That would make it worth replacing, rather than buying a new post. I’ve seen a suggestion that they can be temperamental when warm, so I may try putting it in the freezer for a bit!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giant contact SL dropper bushings’ is closed to new replies.