Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Giant Anthem X2 29er -chain replacement – correct length????
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

i want to get a new chain for my Giant Anthem X2 29er…… can anyone confirm the correct number of links?????

The Giant web site spec says SRAM PC1031 – but doesnt give length?

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on cassette, mech, chainset and frame size. A new chain will be long enough, you shorten as required.

billyboy
    Free Member

Big to big as tight as it will go and back it off 2 links…………..

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Still struggling with this….. ordered a new SRam PC1031 chain which is what Giant list as the one fitted…. but that also is too short!??

Its 114 links on the box…..

pics below illustrate how much too short it is….

with the original and news chains lined up ( ‘folded’ in half…… the split ends lined up….. you can see from the pics how much longer the original is compared to the new chains…

Help! What do I actually need!???

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt here.
    The reason you are replacing the chain is that the original one has stretched so it should look longer when laid next to the new one.
    What need to do is to count the pins in the old chain and make the new one the same amount of pins.

Paceman
    Free Member

You’ve done the right thing using the old chain to get the right length. Seems unusual for a 114 link chain to be too short as that’s a pretty standard length and has always worked for me with both 26ers and 29ers.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Watch this, skip to 2.50 for the part on length

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt here.
    The reason you are replacing the chain is that the original one has stretched so it should look longer when laid next to the new one.
    What need to do is to count the pins in the old chain and make the new one the same amount of pins.

Being honest Mark no I didn’t actually count the links!
    But it shouldn’t have stretched that far should it??? I was always under the impression that once stretched more than 0.7% its throw away time… but thats stretched almost 4 whole links worth if the number of links is the same?

When I put the new one on the rear derailleur is angled well forward… just doesn’t look right!

I will count tonight…… Thanks for the input all…. will let you know what counting reveals 🙂

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Well people ……. Here’s the results of the counting!!!!!

Original chain has 57 of the ‘dog bone sized lincs, plus the connecting link making 58 + 58 connecting links = 116

I’ve taken another picture …… At the. Other end of this the lengths start out the same …. The amount of stretch in the worn chain is a little over half a link over the length of the chain, which is what I would have expected it to be around (1%). And you can see …. The original chain is clearly two whole links longer… So what I need is indeed a 116 link chain!!!????????

Surely someone with a 29er can verify that longer is needed?? It’s logical as surely with the wheels being 3″ bigger the chain must be longer ( at least in my simple head! ) but I don’t recall longer chains than 114 being listed on any websites?

Both chains have stamped PC1031 on them. But the original also has B2 as well…. Which the replacement doesn’t?

See pic for the different lengths…… Puzzled!!!!!

gasyz
    Free Member

I’ve just taken the original chain off my 2011 anthem x 29er and it is 114 links.Thats standard 3×10 gearing with xt long cage rear mech.This is how my bike came new (114 links)Hope this helps.

jordie
    Free Member

Big & Big plus a link job done

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Big & big plus 2 links is 116 which was what was fitted…….. But we’re do I buy a 116 liink SRAM chain….. They don’t seem to exist anywhere?? Although I can find lots of KMC chains in 116 lengths! But I really wanted to stick with original equipment if poss

Tom-B
    Free Member

You don’t buy a chain in terms of link size, you just buy a chain then remove the required amount of links! The only ‘sizing’ issue in chains is width, is 8spd 9spd 10spd etc

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Yes…. Fully aware of that….. But please read again……. Links required is 116 as per original……. But SRAM chains appear to only be in 114 link lengths ……

Question is where I find them!!!
    .??

Paceman
    Free Member

Bigger wheels make little or no difference to the chain links needed. Chainring size, mech size, cassette ratio, and the chainstay length are what determine chain length. Chainstay length is slightly longer on some 29ers but not to the extent we’re talking here.

iainc

yeah, but the point seems to be that the chain he has bought is significantly shorter than the one he took off surely !

Paceman
    Free Member

I agree, but isn’t 114 links the standard length for new chains? Seems strange a bike would be designed to need a longer chain.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hmm interesting one, try the method that jordie describes. A new chain should definitely be long enough!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Iainc ….. Spot on !
    …… And where can I buy one of the firkin’ things!!!

iainc

Paceman, agree, maybe its a case of trying it and seeing if it passes the big/big plus 1 or 2 test ?

khani
    Free Member

You need a 116 link chain, they come in both sizes now, 116 link chain..

Paceman
    Free Member

Yep, the old chain may well have been two links longer than necessary ???

Remover the air from the shock and run big to big ring, that’ll tell you. Remember to makes note of your shock setting too 😉

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Big to big test is done ….. Indicates 114 length is two links short …. Hence why the original chain is 116 long!

Khani …. Thanks for the link to 116 – but that’s Shimano and as said above I’d like to keep the drivetrain original and all SRAM …..

khani
    Free Member

I don’t think Sram sell a 116 link chain, nowhere has em, the power link connectors work with Shimano ones though..
    And KCNC chains come in 116 as well, but extensive googling has shown 116 Sram chains to be non existent..Sorry..
    I think the combination of longer stays and big 36 cassettes mean you need a 116, my Rockstar with a triple and 36 cassette needs a 116 to go big-big,
    the other solution is not to cross your chain..

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I doubt 1 link short will really make a difference. The mech should still cope, but big to big is extreme cross chaining anyway, especially if you’re running a triple.

If you’re really set on SRAM you could use a 2nd quick link to get up to 116, but KMC seems recognised these days especially as I heard they make the chains for one of the big boys anyway.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just put a KMC on it, they’re better chains anyway

rocketman
    Free Member

Although I can find lots of KMC chains in 116 lengths! But I really wanted to stick with original equipment if poss

Any particular reason?

KMC make very good chains you won’t be disappointed.

glen815
    Free Member

SRAM PC1071 chain with 120 links here.

stimpy
    Free Member

+1 for KMC chains – they’ve outdone Shimano and SRAM chains on my bikes.

But getting the missing link off the 10-spd can be a pain 😆

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Looks like it will ave to be KMC then!

Seems very odd that the SRAM is standard fit meant but you can’t buy them!

Thanks for the suggestions and input fellas !

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well every day is a school day-I’m on a Trance 29er….I wonder if they’re the same?!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Wouldn’t surprise me ! What cassette does the trance have?

Tom-B
    Free Member

11-36 10 speed. 36t big ring up front.

br
    Free Member

Buy a 2nd chain, and slowly use bits of it over the next 50 chains?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I don’t really lie the idea of splitting and rejoining chain links……

KMC it’s going to have to be I reckon!

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Tom B, probably not, the Trance 29er has shorter chainstays by about 10mm IIRC, but I’ll be checking mine anyway.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

KMC chain now fitted!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem X2 29er -chain replacement – correct length????’ is closed to new replies.