Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Giant Anthem X1 / X2 ??
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys, has anyone got a new 2010 anthem x1 or x2? really interested in getting one, but the pics look really really bright in colour, just wondered if anyone has any real life shots of either of them? stunning spec for the price on the x2, cant decide whether to spend extra 750 and get the xt tubeless wheels/sid forks etc as i would ditch the wheels on the x2 for some tubeless anyways so thats 300 quid or there abouts straight away extra for the x2….the x1 i would imagine i would leave pretty much as stock…. pics welcome pleaseeeee 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

The X2 looks gorgeous in red – but personnaly I can't see any justification for spending an extra £1k over the X3.. Which in black with red highlights is a handsome beast

ETA – and it looks far better in the flesh

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice one, id defo want either the x2 or x1 though, as with the x3 id only end up replacing most the parts, so its cheaper to just get either x2/x1…

i thought the x1 was the red one though? somebody must own one already for me to see in a real life photo??? pleeeeease 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

Hard to see what you would need to replace out of the box, thats a fairly good spec, no?

Fork Fox F100 RL, 100mm
    Shock Fox Float RP2
    Handlebar Giant Connect SL, low rise 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Connect SL
    Seatpost Giant Connect SL
    Saddle Fizik Tundra w/ MG rails
    Pedals Not Included
    Shifters Shimano SLX 27 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
    Brakes Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic discs, 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5
    Cassette Shimano HG80 11-34
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset Shimano SLX 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano, External
    Rims Mavic XM 317 Disc
    Hubs Shimano Deore
    Spokes Sapim Race 14g

vrapan
    Free Member

Maybe buy the frame and build it up? There is a good chance that with a bit of shopping around you could reach the spec of the X1 with similar if not less cost? Just saying cause that is what I did and the color of the frame is a fair bit more understated than the full bikes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i wouldnt want a frame only again, plus not keen on the colour of the frame only…..ive done a custom build before, prefer to have a proper manufactured bike next time, with the kit its been mostly designed to work alongside….i think if the x1 was £2300-£2500 i'd get one instantly, just sounds alot for a 100mm bike at £2750…..still if they are as superb as everyone goes on about it should be pretty sweet, plus the beneficial thing of stretching to the extra of x1 means i cant see anything id want to upgrade, it even has tubeless ready wheels….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pics if possible please though would really appreciate it 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

I got my mitts on an X3 a few weeks ago. Before I took delivery my train of thought was…

… I'll swap the race wheels off the other bike, get new Easton CNC bars and lighter crankset in the CRC sale… then after the winter clag I'll get some nice x9 transnmission, and some SIDs when I can afford them etc, etc.

As soon as I got the bike I changed my mind instantly – hadn't even ridden it…No Fwck it, that just looks SO right it's staying exactly like it is…

ETA – it rides pretty damn good too

vrapan
    Free Member

I've got one but that is still before I got XT brakes, SID Teams and Olympic Rim based wheels on it so it looks a tiny bit tatty. Might post it when I get home – don't have the pic at work.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I wouldn't want the Fox fork and would plump for the frame option. You could then fit Reba SL with the option of 100 or 120mm travel.

Compared to 2010 the built bikes don't look as good a value as 2009.

rkk01
    Free Member

I stand corrected – X1 – Red, and £2750…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Pauls Cycles has last year

X

d get the X3 and spend the change on some decent wheels.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I've seen an X2 about in blue and it's a really nice colour, looks great! I think it's the same shade as my 09 X2

Photos don't always match the colour exactly, but I think it's the standard Giant team blue

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

its looks awesome in red on the stock photo for sure! the 09 one looks really nice too, though im in the minority i actually prefer them as one whole colour, i think either the x2 or x1 both look equally stunning, would really like to see one if somebody can show me a pic 🙂

how do you find the bike on rough stuff? most of the stuff i ride is a combo of road/offroad/singletrack/ then the other end of the spectrum, up the peaks and places like that, i used to have a hardtail and used it up the peaks with 100mm travel only at the frnot, and other than a bit of discomfort it was fine…..will the anthem be capable of the peaks within reason? i arent heavy at all, really lightweight myself so it isnt gonna get thrashed up there……

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I'm a lightweight too, but mine's been to Afan quite a bit with no problems at all. It's obviously a great climber, but I think you'll be surprised how well they descend too, just generally a seriously quick bike.

vrapan
    Free Member

I think it absorbs drops and bumps very well really. I haven't done anything very demanding on it – not too much into riding under 0 degrees – but it feels very controlled when you hit the bumps. If you want it a bit more trail focused put 120mm fork. Had a pair of Recon 85-130mm on it and it feels well balanced even at 120. No more though.

Dekerf
    Free Member

Didzy2009

I might be able to help you, email me at:

markjetten 'at' hotmail 'dot' com

And i will be able to give you some info that might be most useful

goldenwonder
    Free Member

We had a 2010 X2 in last week & it's the same colour as the Talon 1 if you've seen one of those anywhere?
    The X1 is very red! Looks awesome IMO & red is of course well known to be faster than blue 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

llamafarmer

Out of curiousity what have you swapped out on your X2 so far?
    So far i have replaced the wheels with hope pro 2's and 719rims, seatpost Thomson Elite and the cassette for an XT so i dont ruin the cassette body on my shiny blue hubs..

Does your seatpost creek? my original was driving me crazy, after taking it apart to grease it up i noticed that the teeth on the clamp were buggered..

I noticed in one of your previous quotes you said its a great climber.. not with the schwalbe racing ralphs..my always spins at the rear..
    but then thats down to tyre choice..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

prefer to have a proper manufactured bike next time, with the kit its been mostly designed to work alongside

Eh?
    One person bolting parts to a frame is pretty much identical to another doing the same thing. The only part that may have been 'designed to work alongside' is the shock (Propedal and/or compression tune) Everything else is off a shelf somewhere…..

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

prefer to have a proper manufactured bike next time

I normally build my bikes from the frame up but bought a complete Giant Defy road bike last year. Build quality was appalling and ended up having to rebuild it anyway. Rides lovely now though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry guys what i meant is, id prefer to have everything fitted out of the box, instead of continuously upgrading bits and bobs as and when i have the cash……its just easier and less hassle sending the bike in to be fitted and paying for them to be fitted properly etc as im not competant to fit half the things my self 🙂 its great fun building up a frame from scratch if you have the knowledge, unfortunately i neither have half the tools, time or knowledge to do so 🙂

also guys silly question i know but what size anthem frame would a slim 6ft guy be looking at?? im gonna try and get a sit on one, my mate seems to think a 18" would be more suitable, just wondered how tall some of you are riding them and what size you have? never owned a giant before…..thanks in advance 🙂

Dekerf
    Free Member

Best to have a try on one really. It depends upon how you like you bike set up, and how your body is made (long legs or torso, also arm length)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey, yeah i will defo try, im a strange figure really, as you said i have a long torso and probably a 31" inside leg……defitintely dont have the standard long legs for a 6ft guy….hopefully will get chance to sit on one though, any more thoughts on sizing much appreciated guys 🙂

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I am 5ft 10" & ride a L/20" 32" leg i still need a 400mm post in it,my mate had a M/18" & that was way to small for me so make sure you try one before you buy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats great mate, thanks for the response, by the sounds of it, we are quite similar height/leg length…..will defo have to sit on one now….my current bike is 18" and i sometimes think that is a tad small just for putting power down using my full leg muscles…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem X1 / X2 ??’ is closed to new replies.