Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Giant Anthem X1 2009
  • logic1980
    Free Member

Hi thinking of getting one of these for a mix of local XC and some singletrack stuff at beginner sort of level – 100mm travel – just wondering what ppl think

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m thinking ‘toast or weetabix….or another 5 minutes in bed’.

logic1980
    Free Member

id go with the extra 5 mins

onewheelgood

Can I have toast, and Weetabix, and 5 mins in bed? I’ve already got a 2009 X1, which I rather like.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Never seem to see a bad word against them

logic1980
    Free Member

So they are good in the trails as well as XC stuff?

onewheelgood

what’s the difference?

logic1980
    Free Member

i meant singletrack – rough stuff compared to easier XC small stuff if you get me

thomthumb
    Free Member

it will probably be good. some of them seem to be specced with narrow(ish) bars and long stems. you may want to adjust this slightly.

I used to havew an NRS, the predecessor, and it was a lovely bike for riding local stuff.

onewheelgood

The early 2009 bikes had flat bars and a 100mm stem – later (April-ish) they changed to risers, not sure if they changed the stem. I’ve got the flat bars, and I’ve flipped the stem – bit of an anti-fashion statement. I don’t have a problem keeping up with most people on 120mm-140mm bikes on most UK rides – Peak District, Welsh Trail centres etc. If you are beginner level you might find it a little scary on the steeper rough stuff – you need to get your weight well back 😉 But it’s ace on twisty singletrack and climbs brilliantly.

logic1980
    Free Member

Thanks onewheel thats what i was wanting to hear – looks like il be getting one of these then cheers

Pukeko
    Free Member

+1 what onewheel said. I have risers on mine but have no problems keeping up with 120-140mm travel bikes over pretty much anything(Dalby, Hamsterly, Kielder, NYM, Lakes) and when it gets to twisty ST and the climbs it is great!!

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Got a 2010 X2, didn’t impress after the first few rides…(had EX8 before)
    Changed the “comedy dry tyres”, (which are actually very good in the dry!!!), fitted a shorter stem to slacken the head angle, and an 11/34 cassette. I’m loving it now, it’s really fast and nimble on the twisty singletrack.. 😆
    The 100mm front end copes really well with most of the stuff on the Qtox…
    The Jag-Wire gear cables are really crap tho.. 😥
    I’m loving it now, + it looks good too !!

logic1980
    Free Member

Brought a 2009 X1 and pick it up tomo so il let you all know my thoughts – I have heard ppl say a shorter stem might be on the cards though –

DT78
    Free Member

Might I ask how much you paid? I,m thinking of buying a work mates

racefaceec90

i had a 10 anthem x2.was a great bike,but wanted to go back to a steel ht (as cost of servicing e.t.c) now have a lovely new duster mid bike 😀 the anthem was a fantastic full sus bike though.enjoy 😀

logic1980
    Free Member

I think i got a deal at £850 – iv seen the X2 2010 go for double that – hope im not wrong – cant wait to go get lost on it

DT78
    Free Member

Take it that was second hand? Seems a decent price. Does the Orange look better in the flesh?

logic1980
    Free Member

3rd hand i think lol – not seen in the flesh yet so il let you know tomo – its a bit of a distance from me you see just to go for a look – so going tomo but looks good in the pics – i dont mind the orange really

rainbow
    Free Member

I ride Giant Anthem myself, brilliant bike and you will be fine with 100mm travel forks and a shorter stem is needed, I got 70mm stem and it’s good.

Enjoy the bike.

onewheelgood

Nothing wrong with the orange

transapp
    Free Member

Seriously good bike. Shorter stem won’t change the head angle, but will make it seem to steer a litte quicker. Not to say a 120mm stem will feel good mind. I’ve got 100-130 rs revelations on mine, set soft I actually get closer to 90-120. On 90 it’ll climb a wall. On 120 it’s brilliant fun and feels really well balanced. Have stuffed into stupid situations all over the south west and it handles great. Easily upto most trails (im not an air merchant).I have put an 80mm stem and 690mm bars on my large x1, suits me very well.
    I’ve never heard a bad word said, and I certainly have none of my own. Best bike I’ve owned.
    Oh, and the orange isn’t that gash in the flesh….

logic1980
    Free Member

Right so I picked up the bike today from a really nice chap in the pee’ing down rain and was really happy as the bike looked new with very little wear –

Took it out for a quick play on some local stuff and only issue is the silly Maxxis larsen TT rear tyre that was sliding out all over the pace – easy fix mind –

I can really review the bike though as it is my first full sus but it put a smile on my face and went everywhere I pointed it – always a good thing.

Looking forward to many miles of future fun

Potter
    Free Member

Got this years x2 and absolutely love it, ridden kirroughtree glentress etc and no probs at all,changed to a shorter stem straight away though, climbs really well too

DT78
    Free Member

So some sizing guide, I’m just under 6 foot and been looking at a medium. Would that be too small for me? Normally ride an 18″ hard tail. What size stems are you using with your athems then?

logic1980
    Free Member

Well iv just got a large (20″) and im 6’3″ and it fells spot on – not to small for country park family stuff and not to big on the singletrack stuff – im using the standard 100mm giant stem and raceface risers – i must admit i was amazed at how light it is being used to road bikes.
    I still gettin gover how happy i am with this bike – iv been looking for so long now and this bike fits the bill bang on.

Not rreally answered your question mind – bit iv got 35″ inside leg if that helps

bobsoff2
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and a medium is just right for me, tho seat post is quite high with it nearly on the height limit..(long legs and arms, Short stocky body) 8)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had one with a 120mm fork in it and loved it,

Not sure what the difference is between XC and single track, But it rode great on everything I tried it on.

transapp
    Free Member

I’m 6′ smack on, 34″ inside leg. I also have a short back and arms for my height. My x1 is a large with a 80mm stem, 690 lowrise bars and an inline seat post. Took a while to find the right position but got it now.

logic1980
    Free Member

To all you owners of anthems out there what tyres are you guys/Gals using??

transapp
    Free Member

In the mud, bontratger mudx 2.0’s. In the dry, Schwalbe Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralf rear both 2.1. I’d go to 2 Racing Ralfs for an xc blast, but I ride some pretty steep stuff and appreciate the front grip to allow me to simper my way down hill.

chillidave
    Free Member

1.8 Mud x running tubeless here too, intended for use in muddy conditions but no call to switch them out this year Very impressed with them. I also have a set of racing ralphs if the summer ever arrives!

logic1980
    Free Member

im riding a Kenda el moco 2.1 up front and a maxxis larsen TT 1.9 at rear – must admit the maxxis was slipping about and dragging my ass all over the place yesterday of the loose stuff – Still new to all this and would have though the rear needed to be wider that the front for better traction?? any thoughts??

transapp
    Free Member

Normal wisdom is for a grippier tyre on the front so it goes where you want it to, something a little faster and less grippy on the back to reduce rolling resistance. Your rear is a fast rolling, sumer style tyre, I’ve got no idea of the front though. If your terrain is anything like mine (slippy mud at the moment) then yes, that back end will feel a little slippery…
    You can always get some good alrounders on the front and rear, something like Maxxis Highroller or Schwalbe Nobby Nics. After that, anything too twitchty is probably down to the rider 😉

onewheelgood

Size question: I’m 5’7″ and I have a medium and it’s about right – maybe could have gone for a small, but I think it would have been a bit short. 90mm stem and 580mm KCNC flats.

Tyre question: I use 2.1 Racing Ralphs in the summer (which is what it came with when new) and 2.1 Nobby Nics in the winter. I have some 1.8 Black Shark Mud’s in reserve but I’ve never needed them.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X +1 (in the shite)…
    Maxxis Crossmarks in the dry.(don’t even think about them if there’s any moisture in the air) !

logic1980
    Free Member

Thanks transapp for the definition – that makes perfect sense – and thanks to the rest of you to for letting me know what your riding – Im suprised with all the anthem riders there aint its own owners club – 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem X1 2009’ is closed to new replies.