Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Giant anthem 29, scott spark 920 or whyte m109S
  • xcracer1
    Free Member

Looking to get a new marathon type bike and looking at either a Giant anthem 29, scott spark 920 or whyte m109S. Im looking at 2014 models in a sale, so the anthem is £1500, and the scott and whyte are £2k. I’d upgrade the wheels on the anthem to crest/hopes to bring the cost up to £2k.

I havent got any close dealers so its very difficult to test ride, I did have a 26 anthem which I liked but I dont see much reviews for the scott or whyte. Does anyone own one of these and can provide any feedback?

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I loved my Anthem 29, one of the best if not the best bike I’ve owned and ridden. Very capable trail bike and good fun

tomtomthepipersson

I bought a base-model M109 a few weeks ago

Just wanted a cheap 29er to try… I wasn’t sure I really wanted a different wheel size bike. It was a bit of an impulse buy, if i’m being honest.

So far I’m loving it – it rides superbly, seems much less effort riding it compared to my previous and current bikes (all 26ers). I wasn’t sure about going for a 100mm bike from my usual 140/150mm travel but no regrets so far. It climbs brilliantly, lots of traction over roots and rocks – and not too much flex when you’re out of the saddle hoofing it uphill (the 142x12mm hub no doubt helps). It feels really planted and stable on descents too.

I’ve swapped out the drive train to a 1×10 and put on my Hope brakes (it came with a Deore/SLX mix) , added a dropper, and my favourite bars and seat. And it feels just right now.

The only negative so far is the mud clearance down near the bottom bracket/lower pivot. I’m running Purgatory 2.2 tubeless – not a huge tyre by any stretch – and i’ve had to stop and clear out the mud from that area a few times already. It is really bloody muddy at the mo but even so, the design does lend it self to a build-up of mud and gunk. I think it’d been designed to have a shortish rear end so the rear wheel is tucked in a bit – so a slightly smaller tyre would easily fix the problem. Or some dry weather!

I had a look at the S too – the carbon wheels looked nice but I couldn’t justify spending another grand no a whim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve got an older model Spark 920 and find it both fast and all-day comfortable if that helps?

Wally

Whyte M109 Cycle surgery sale owner here too.
    now 1×10 and tubless with favourite post and saddle. Now solidly the right side of 30lbs, more importantly rides really nice. Makes you confident of little jumps and dodgy lines with a “I want to go quickly” nature. IMO a good buy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Giant anthem 29, scott spark 920 or whyte m109S’ is closed to new replies.