Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Giant Anthem 27.5 – anyone got one/tried one??
  • muppet4
    Free Member

Been looking at the Giant Anthem x 27.5 frame at Je James and wondered if anyone on here owns or tried one.
    Positive or negative views and experiences welcome please.

Thanks

iainc

I have a 2015 SX and rate it ! Very good on the ups as well as the downs, light and nimble. I also have a Soul, and they cover most riding.

nre
    Free Member

I have one, very happy with it, non-SX model but with forks extended to 120mm to match the SX geometry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyrockymountain

I had one again with 120mm forks, nice xc bike but didn’t inspire me, I would like to try a 29er version, but opted for a 29er turner czar and it’s absolutely blown me away how good it is, so if you tight budget then the anthem will be good but don’t expect too much

philxx1975
    Free Member

I have 2 of them both bought from Je james

I’m selling a medium in the classifieds on here for 400 quid Its new in its box, was built up and slightly too big for me so stripped down and replaced with a small

I like it i will upgrade to the carbon one when i can afford it.

arnieb
    Free Member

I bought a Giant Anthem 275 2 2015 model from Pauls in January. Its brilliant in my opinion. It handles all the downhills I need to and its so fast on hills and straight bits.

My only comment would be that the stem/handlebars are a bit old skool

iainc

My only comment would be that the stem/handlebars are a bit old skool

mine came with an 80mm stem and 730mm bars – that’s modern enough for me ! 🙂

…..and too wide for some of the trees on my local trails when other bike has 711mm bars….

sync
    Free Member

Ridden the 2015/16 Anthems, 16 Anthem SX and 15/16 Trances very recently. The Anthem is great and with 120mm fork very trail capable. Very light frameset too.

The 100mm rear travel is sufficient for most uses. In 100mm front fork guise it is very xc orientated.

I bought the 2015 Trance 1 though in the end.

These were ridden against the Whyte, Scott, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale options up to £3.5k both xc and trail bikes.

rp16v
    Free Member

After demoing the 2015 anthem sx i had to have one so ended up getting the 15 anthem 2 and extending the reba to 120
    at 100/100 its really racy and i foud it twitchy on decents 120/100 its great this is my second generation of anthem and found both to be good

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Just brought the 27.5 2 from Pauls also, are the Reba’s easy to convert from 100m to 120m?

sync
    Free Member

Yes, it’s c£25 for the 120mm air shaft from bike24. 30min job or any decent bike shop should fit for c£30.

rp16v
    Free Member

As sync said its cheap and easy for such a big improvment
    i did mine in my dinnertime just allow for abit of fresh oil in the lower

iainc

Never tried a 100mm one but I have found the 120mm front end SX to be enough bike for the techiest stuff I do – not a lot of trail centres, but big days out in the hills where climbing is as important as descending. I used to have a 5 but the Anthem SX is a better fit for my needs. It is also no heavier than my Soul.

On the likes of Drumlanrig black/red it is significantly quicker round than either the 5 was, or the Soul is.

Kryton57

I had one again with 120mm forks, nice xc bike but didn’t inspire me, I would like to try a 29er version, but opted for a 29er turner czar and it’s absolutely blown me away how good it is, so if you tight budget then the anthem will be good but don’t expect too much

Just to say I have the 29er Anthem and thats exactly right. It does everything it says on the Tin very well and reliably indeed especially if you get those on sale at £1500, but they won’t “excite” you.

Slightly envious of Jonny RM, a Turner is my dream bike…

jonnyrockymountain

Here is the beauty Stan !!!!!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Love mine great ride very nimble in the twisties.

Kryton57

jonny rocky mountain – Member
    Here is the beauty Stan !!!!!

Do we know each other?

Awesome looking machine – one day, one like that will be mine… 😥

Edit – where you at Battle of the Beach? I might have been standing next to you at the start…

jonnyrockymountain

No Stan not me? Someone else must have a fantastic bike like mine?

muppet4
    Free Member

Some good comments then, it will be a large this time though made that mistake before of a medium and far too small.
    120mm up front def.
    Thanks all

dyls

Ive just bought the 27.5 1, plan to do some marathon events on it this year. Its really good spec to be honest with factory fork and shox and xt components. Upgraded the wheels to crests. Ive come from a 29er anthem x1 and had a 26er x1 before that.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks Sync, rp16v

Assumes its one of these;
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=130915;menu=1000,2,121

Is it an easy job once you open up the forks? happy enough changing seals, o-rings on older Reba’s.

nre
    Free Member

If you’re familiar with a minor service, it’s an easy job. Drop the lowers, remove circlip on spring side to allow shaft to come out, swap some parts from original shaft to new shaft, put it back together.

I flogged my original air shaft for about a tenner so very cheap upgrade!

PS yes that looks like the right part

sync
    Free Member

Yep that’s the part.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem 27.5 – anyone got one/tried one??’ is closed to new replies.