Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ghost shifting, please help me!!!!
  • toffer
    Free Member

So I have ghost shifting issues on my Specialized Stumpjumper fsr evo 2013, I thought it was my cable but had both inner and outer replaced and its still doing it, what are other causes? It only does it when I go over something like a pothole, I thought maybe it was due to cable stretch when my suspension compresses but I put my shock into climb and it still does it. Please help its doing my nut in on my ride to work!

Tracey

When ours has done this, Stumpjumpers and Enduros, its been because the cable was too short where it goes under the bottom bracket. Slacken the down tube cable guides off and pull a bit more cable down under the bracket. You would be supprised how much you need hanging loose to prevent it happening.

toffer
    Free Member

OK cheers, I did try this but will pull more through and see if it sorts it.

toffer
    Free Member

It’s still doing it 🙁 pulled a load of cable down so I have a big loop under my bottom bracket but riding to work this morning and going over pot holes I skip about half a crank before getting the chain connecting again. Anyone else got any ideas please?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Release the air out of the shock and compress the suspension to see what’s happening to the cable as the frame moves.

fadda

I may be off beam, but is your indexing right?

brant
    Free Member

Bent mech hanger causing top jockey wheel to move as suspension moves and chain length alters?

falkirk-mark

I had play in the pins that the mech hinges on (the mech was worn out) dunno how it fits with your symptoms but worth checking.

toffer
    Free Member

Indexing is fine, took it to lbs and they checked it, I will take it back to them and see if they can sort it if I can’t but its finding time to take it in, easier if I can get it sorted. I was thinking bent mech hanger or bent derailleur, just was hoping it would be something cheaper in the run up Xmas, although mech hanger is only a tenner! Will order one tonight if the releasing the air from the shock cable stretch thing doesn’t yield results.

justatheory
    Free Member

Chain too short and stretching when suspension is compressed maybe?

fatharrywhite
    Free Member

Have you got a clutch mech? My old mech got worn and started to wander about

toffer
    Free Member

Yea its a clutch mech, well I will go through all the suggestions here and hopefully its not that,they are fairly expensive aren’t they!!

billyboy
    Free Member

Sticky pawls or reluctant pawl springs can cause the same sensation.

toffer
    Free Member

So I have had a play this morning, removed the air from my shock and compressed it and the cable doesn’t seem to move so I am ruling that out, but my rear mech does seem to have a fair bit of side to side play in it and the lower jockey wheel, I.e. one furthest from the cassette isn’t in line with the other jockey wheel or cassette so are we thinking a new mech? On that note what are peoples recommendations? It currently has a SRAM x9 but do people think Shimano clutch ones are better? If so I will need a new shifter as well won’t I?

falkirk-mark

I burst my sram one 1km in on new bike and replaced with shimano shadow and you do need the shimano shifter if you change

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ghost shifting, please help me!!!!’ is closed to new replies.