Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ghetto valve in Mavic 819 rim
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Has anyone tried this? It’s a sealed, UST rim with no rim tape. I was going to cut the valve out of an old inner tube. Will it work? How much ‘tube’ do did you leave on it? What’s best, presta or shrader?

br
    Free Member

Mavic valves are about £6 – and they just work.

shermer75
    Free Member

Only just?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dantsw13

Presta valve, preferably removable core, not too much tube, need a screw ring to tighten it up nicely.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one! Thanks 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

So I’ve got it pumped up, valve works ok (bit more fiddly than a Mavic valve, b r was right about that). It’s on my commuter, and I normally have the tyres at around 90-100 psi but now can’t get it past 80 without it losing air. Hrumph!

Garry_Lager

I have this set up on a MTB with 819s, so ca. 35 psi, and found a generic inner tube lockring wasn’t good enough (although maybe it would have worked given time if the sealant solidified around the valve). Needed to use some old UST lockrings I had lying around, which have been v reliable.
    90-100 psi sounds like a totally different story, though – no experience with road tubeless. What tyre are you using on an 819 at 90 psi?

Mavic valves do work fine, but they are prone to corroding onto the rim over time. Few posts on here about folk stranded in the hills after a UST puncture and no way to get the valve out. Worth unscrewing the lockring and retightening once in a while to make sure this doesn’t happen.

soobalias
    Free Member

what tyres do you have on 819s that go up to 100psi?

edit. whoops took me 8mins to click post.

shermer75
    Free Member

Schwalbe Kojak.
    Looks like I spoke too soon! Just returned to tyre it had deflated, a bit like myself

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto valve in Mavic 819 rim’ is closed to new replies.