Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless without the tube sticking out from the tyre
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’ve been tubeless before with the Eclipse kits but that was ages ago. It didn’t end well but I’m thinking of giving it another go and have the BMX tubes and wheel milk all lined up. However… all the instructions I’ve seen have me turning the BMX tube into a really wide strip flopping over the edge of the rim and then trimming it back. I don’t know why but I don’t really want to do this.

So is it possible to trim the bmx tube before putting the tyre on so it just acts in the same way as the Eclipse rim strips? Will I still get a dceent seal?

I could just give it a go, I suppose.

emac65
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Put it on, use a razor blade and carefully cut around the rim. Presto.

emac65
    Free Member

That’s what the vid shows….
    But not too close because if you do when you come to change tyres you’ll need to buy another tube & start over……

Not that I ever did that…… 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I use a Stanley type knife & keep the blunt edge toward the tyre

one I’ve just finished this afternoon …….

Smee
    Free Member

Use scissors, pull on the tube flap a wee bit then slide the scissors round. Jobsagoodun.

collie
    Free Member

As above, use a razor or stanley and flappy tubes are gone.

nickegg
    Free Member

The point to leaving it flopped over the edge is so that you only cut off whats not needed.

How do you intend to accuratly measure the inside surface of the rim?!

Just did my first conversion today. Stanley blade worked better than scissors.

Used Maxxis Minions 2.35. Went on so easily i was convinced it would all go pear shaped later on but one test ride later and so far so good.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Could you not cut it just wider than the bead and very very carefully fold it back inside the tyre, flash in flate, add milk?

It’d be darn fiddly mind.

allankelly

http://www.tubelesswheels.com

Stanley knife with tape wrapped round so you don’t slice your fingers. But I usually just use scissors cos the little bit of tub causes no probs and guarantees you can use the same strip when you change tyre. If you use rim-brakes then fair enough Stanley knife.

al.

imp999
    Free Member

If you don’t leave a bit of a flap then second use is really difficult – keeping the “strip” cented on the rim.

I like the Bonty rim strips as they try to mimic the UST shoulders that you have on a UST rim. Worked well on my (19mm)WTB rims too wide for my (17mm)Alex rims (other sizes available?). £20 for a pair with sealant from LBS J Atkins Leamington.
    No flaps either!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless without the tube sticking out from the tyre’ is closed to new replies.