Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless- Swampthing or Ardent?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, Im getting the LBS to actually do this- as in use their compressor (I've given up).

Thing is. Should I use a Swampthing (draggy) or a Ardent on the rear? In the snow/slop/mud I found the Ardent let go. However whats the weather doing beyond this weekend? Should I stick with the Swampthing for now- as it wears down it should get less draggy?

Conor
    Free Member

Spring is just round the corner, go for a highroller!

Oh, I find a 16g CO2 cartridge far more effective than my local garage's air compressor. Seems to have a much higher flow. I know the CO2 reacts with the latex, so after inflating and bed seating, deflate to about 5psi, pump up to 40 with air, deflate, inflate to 60psi, spin and shake, quick ride, sorted.

hora
    Free Member

conor I am hamfisted to say the least. I'd probably bend the wheel in half. I snapped two spokes the last time I tried (dont ask).

heihei

I've found Swampthings one of the easier tyres to use ghetto tubeless, but it is mighty draggy so I tend to only use on the front. For mud use, I tend to couple with a Medusa LUST on the rear.

hora
    Free Member

Definitely keeping the Swampthing on the front until it gets dry and dusty.

SBrock
    Free Member

mmmmm thats the only down side of ghetto tubeless – putting on your winter tyres, I have run HR's all winter but not done much riding in the last 4 weeks as the Dark Peak is still white – I got some single ply swampys that i keep meaning to put on but is it really worth the faff as spring will be here soon!

glenh
    Free Member

I find the ardent works surprisingly well in the muck, despite it's relatively low profile tread.
    I run one tubeless no problems.

hora
    Free Member

Actually- thinking about it. The only time the Ardent let me down on the rear was on the first Cavedale STW ride a month or so ago- it slid out ON THE SNOW on the tops. Everywhere else it was fine.

So- Swampy front, 2.35 Ardent rear 😀

Thanks guys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless- Swampthing or Ardent?’ is closed to new replies.