Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ghetto Tubeless or Stans No Tubes
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

Going on a set of MSC race wheels will Ghetto work or do you think its worth the extra few quid for stans???

Is Ghetto easy enough to do?

Any tips?

Ta in adviance!

uplink
    Free Member

Not familiar with MSC wheels

but………. I have wheels with both types on, both Ghetto & Stan's are easy enough to do – Stan's is easier but quite a lot dearer, as you say

as long as I wasn't strapped for cash, I'd go with the Stan's

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

I've done Joes system with no probs whatsoever…. first real test will be this weekend at the CRC Marathon.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Ghetto doesn't last anywhere near as long as Stans IMHO

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind

I fannied about with BMX tubes for a while, it never worked well enough. I could probably have got it working better with another mile of electric tape but it gave me more grief than punctures ever did and worked out heavier than my tubes of choice at the time. If I ran low pressures, it burped on fast corners, not every time but often enough.

I'm a big fan of tubeless, I've got Stans rims on one bike and Specialized's stans ripoffs on the other and it's great, but I won't ever do ghetto again personally.

13thfloormonk

Don't waste your money on joe's, its basically a strip of inner tube which you could make yourself for less money.

ghetto has always worked ok for me (well, its never been the system thats let me down, just the sealant for some reason) but I'm now seeing the benefits of Stans for quicker tyre changes, easier topping up of the sealant, and general ease of life.

Personally have never had problems with burping, perhaps because I DO use that extra mile of insulating tape, so the tyre is a seriously tight fit when it goes on. This helps avoid badger moments like the one above 😀

jimr80
    Free Member

Bigman,
    i have done both ghetto and stans. Stans works every time, clean the rim strip and keep using when changing tires. Ghetto works just as well, you may need to be a bit more patient when inflating dependant on tyres used . plus the ghetto tube tends to be a pain when re-using(but alot cheaper = ebay).
    you may also need a compressor to get either way seated.

See you saturday on the tranny .
    ps i have a compressor 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I always trot this fact out – but my ghetto setup survived the Mega and I was the only person that week not to have any punctures/issues.

13thfloormonk

Careful Grum, I started making boasts like that then everything started going wrong, even my UST setup has been a major PITA recently.

if it works just keep quiet and enjoy, smugness-karma bit me hard 🙁

Doug
    Free Member
    BIGMAN
    Free Member

Awesome cheers lads I just picked up some rim strips so I will give those a go later!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubeless or Stans No Tubes’ is closed to new replies.