Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ghetto Tubeless on Road tyres?
  • scruff
    Free Member

On my roadrat I have 700c Schwalbe Marathons (wire bead) on Shimano rims, Im Stans user on my MTB and tried ghetto on the DH bike which worked but seems to burp too much even with DP tyres.
    Anyone gone ghetto tubeless on road tyres? Had a thorn puncture the other day so was late for work, bit of Stans in a tubless setup sould have sorted it straight away, but dont really want these skimmy tyres exlpoding at 30mph. Tried Stans in the innertubes & that didnt work, tyre / tube rubbing seemed to prevent the latex curing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope, the bead isn’t strong enough and stretches untill it blows off the rim, tubeless road tyres have carbon fibre beads to stop that.

Keef
    Free Member

wot spoon ses.

ps,u will die if u try to use ghetto road tubeless

pps. Hutchinson do real proper road tubeless tyres,£40.

njee20
    Free Member

A friend of mine did it – electrical tape on some DT RR1450s, normal GP 4 Seasons, worked fine, he’s not died. This was a few years ago, before road tubeless really gained any traction, dunno if he’s still using it.

I’d not risk it personally. Exploding tyres at 40mph scares me.

krixmeister

What above said regarding bad idea, plus you really will die, and I’ll add that proper road tubeless is the shizness – everyone should be doing it. But if puncture resistance is key concern, not sure why the Stans in the inner tube didn’t work for you, as it is generally a good solution for that. You might want try one of the other slime/spooge compounds for tubeless, and see if that works in your tubes?

scruff
    Free Member

Shirley other tyre complanies make tubeless? Maxxis do one for £100 !

Stans in tubes didnt work on front or back, just think the tyre/tube interace stopped the bunging up. Tried slime on MTB before I went tubless, that didnt seal at all and was really draggy.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I tried it on some CX tyres a while back, just for fun. It worked fine but it took ages to seal as the sidewalls on std tyres are porous so they leak air. Even with sealant in they took maybe 5 re-inflations to finally stop leaking. They didn’t blow off the rim though, that wasn’t the issue. I had about 70psi in them I think, so a bit lower than road tyres normally run at.

Haze

Stans in the tube didn’t work for me either, just made it a messy experience trying to get a glueless patch to stick.

Keef
    Free Member

depends what u gona use it for,my road fixed has ‘normal’ rims,tubes and tyres,I get shed loads of punctures ‘cus the Chavs are in bottle smashing season atm. my cross bike however uses stans rims,bonty tyres(and a Micky on the back) and proper stans jizz. never had a puncture,and it goes a lot of the same routes.
    I hate punctures (and bottle smashers)if I could afford it,I’d go tubeless on the road fixed yesterdee.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubeless on Road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.